• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dan Sayer

Boss
Staff member
Dec 4, 2009
Awards
First Name
Dan
Earlier this year I had a co-worker send me an article, that at the time I deemed "not yet", speaking of Amazon's ramp up of their Ad programs. The article claimed, "...for the first time, Google and Facebook’s combined share of digital ads will decrease this year. That’s because Amazon is crashing the party. Amazon’s ad business is expected to grow more than 50% this year, putting Bezos on track to close the gap with current second-place FB." Fast forward to a couple weeks ago when one of our GM's, at a golf outing, met the co-founder of an agency offering Amazon DSP services with the following pitch:

"Let me know when would be a good time to chat or the contact email of your marketing manager. Amazon has an automotive review site called Amazon vehicles and that data can be leveraged across the web to drive better performance. Amazon also collects users’ vehicle information in their “garage”. This data can also be utilized for marketing. See below for an idea of the massive scale on some relevant OEMs.

Garaged Vehicles:

Ford - 16.45M
Kia - 1.7M
Mazda - 2.28M
Lincoln - 600K
Mitsubishi - 1.17M"

I went ahead and sought out to learn more on my own by contacting Amazon Advertising and then attending one of their intro webinars. It was surprisingly small and intimate. It was me and about 6 others from various industries including travel and tech. Post meeting Amazon referred me to the exact agency that I spoke of prior. A determining factor of how Amazon works with their Ad clients is determined by a budget threshold of $35k; less than that they send you to agency partner, more than that they work with the client directly.

Anyone diving into the world of Amazon Advertising? I have yet to reply to the agency but was offered a "test" by Amazon Advertising on their DSP product which would also display out of Amazon's network. I think I'll try it out. Thoughts?

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
I don't think Amazon can be compared to any Social Platform or Search Engine. Would be very interesting to see how digital vendors use Amazons data to advertise through the platform.

I'm sure it would make advertising very predictable.

Being that Amazon is the BIGGEST online retailer, I'm certain they'd have enough data accumulated from searches (vehicle parts, accessories, customization items) that it'd be incredibly easy to target loyal fans to whatever brand you intend to promote.

Interesting read, Dan.

I’d say that their platform would work remarkably well for a company selling automotive accessories. Not necessarily for dealers.
My advertising firm works exclusively with Facebook and Google. YouTube ads also work well if you have well shot videos. Our preference is Facebook because of their “Dynamic Retargeting” ads. They work really well to leverage existing web traffic.

@Devin The avenue Amazon is pursuing with their DSP offering is to those companies that do not sell on Amazon but would like to target shopper sets on Amazon, or any of their other 24 channels including OTT, that crossover with the advertiser audience. My main interest was retargeting my own shoppers via pixel. Amazon categorizes their advertising reach into three main categories; owned and operated entities like Amazon or IMBD, through Amazon Publisher Services, or through Open exchanges. So this would be a similar offering to Facebook dynamic retargeting ads in both the Amazon universe and outside. We'll see what they offer for a test and I can update this thread.