• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

another one bites the dust...

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Joe
DealerTrack to Acquire eCarList
[FONT=&quot]DealerTrack to Acquire eCarList: PR Newswire Business News - MSN Money

Grrr... Quite possibly one of my most favorite & innovative players... . :goodbye:____:rip:____

All.
The small boutique players are aligning themselves with the big dogs. They must be getting feedback that tells them that you must be part of a "one call does it all" solution or your dust.

My instincts tell me the heavy hand of the Manufacturers that is driving this change.

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
[FONT=&quot]My instincts tell me the heavy hand of the Manufacturers that is driving this change.[/FONT]

I agree 100%. Large companies love to associate with other large companies.

There's quite a bit of money in the online marketing space. Some of the larger groups I've seen spend upwards of 250k/yr on their website properties alone. A single dealer group. Some dealers have even left your typical Cars.com, Autotrader, etc. in favor of promoting their own websites. So I think it's natural that some of these parent companies want to offer a full suite and get in on the action.

I do worry about the acquisition, though. eCarList does good work and I'm hoping this acquisition doesn't get in the way of that...

The industry is definitely waking up to the value of a single platform solution. This is a great thing! DealerPeak began its product development back in 1999 with a unified Website and ILM product all on one data platform. The idea was to be able to better manage and communicate with customers by using a personalized website that communicated with the CRM because it was all on one system. Nobody got it. We banged our heads against the wall for 7 years before Dealers started to understand what we were talking about. It's very exciting now to see that the concept is now coming to the forefront. Unified Platform Providers are definitely the future for dealership technology.

Unified Platform Providers are definitely the future for dealership technology.

I disagree. Isn't that what bloated software is? A one sized fits all platform is the wrong way to go, IMHO. There's no reason why my website can't talk to my inventory, my DMS, my service CRM, and my OEM incentives. All separate products, all different companies. When you try to be good at everything, you're good at nothing. I get the vertical integration part, not the "unified" part. Those types of projects are usually a disaster...

The small boutique players are aligning themselves with the big dogs. They must be getting feedback that tells them that you must be part of a "one call does it all" solution or your dust.

My instincts tell me the heavy hand of the Manufacturers that is driving this change.

The future landscape definitely looks like more OEM control. However, most of the purchases (this one being the exception because DT is already public) have mostly been done to jump into the IPO bubble.

I disagree. Isn't that what bloated software is?

I guess I would say that the devil is always in the details. If the features of an application work well, are highly configurable, and can reduce your spend, why wouldn't you want to consolidate to a single solution where you don't have to worry about the inevitable breakdowns of different applications having to "talk to each other" Anyway, just one man's opinion. Thanks

I guess I would say that the devil is always in the details. If the features of an application work well, are highly configurable, and can reduce your spend, why wouldn't you want to consolidate to a single solution where you don't have to worry about the inevitable breakdowns of different applications having to "talk to each other" Anyway, just one man's opinion. Thanks

I can sympathize with Chris as I have been burnt by a single company pushing too many products (they'll just be an anonymous DMS company right now). However, I also agree with what you're saying....within reason. There are certain technologies/products that make sense to place together. Websites and chat are a good example. There are other product pairings that might not fit the bill as well as the example I gave and some of those pairings don't make sense to all dealers. An example of that could be a Rental Car management system and a pencil tool (stretching and getting extreme with that example).

I think Chris is referring to something like a DMS company offering websites, CRM, inventory, ILM, and whatever else. Because these pairings have traditionally been done through purchasing, the pieces don't mesh well technologically. On top of that, they're typically supported by the legacy staff (and about 2 years after the purchase the original innovators have moved on) who do not have enough power in the larger "mothership" to get any innovation or consistency accomplished.

That last point is crucial to the argument of "baking one's food." Ideas rest with people. If the person behind the idea is no longer a part of the product that was promoted by the idea, the product is stagnant. Some products show stagnation more than others because they're more deeply rooted in a strong ideology. There are two products I can think of that are this way: CRM and Pricing/Stocking tools.

Reactions: 2 people
I disagree. Isn't that what bloated software is? A one sized fits all platform is the wrong way to go, IMHO. There's no reason why my website can't talk to my inventory, my DMS, my service CRM, and my OEM incentives. All separate products, all different companies. When you try to be good at everything, you're good at nothing. I get the vertical integration part, not the "unified" part. Those types of projects are usually a disaster...

Chis,

This is wayyy out of character for me, but I am going to vote for the single vendor solution.

Think about it... no, really think about it. In the end, we're talking about WHO IS RESPONSIBLE for the entire system. In your scenario, working with multiple vendors, you've put ALL of the responsibility on the dealers shoulders.

Digital Systems is a TEAM SPORT.
Look at all the moving parts under the dealers rooftop. The DMS talks to the Inventory Management System that takes input (in the field) from the Inventory Management team. That data is joined and uploaded to the Dealer's website(s), to classified sites (paid and free) and to ebay, CL, etc...

Ahhh.. then onto the CRM, an animal of epic scope, it connects every player under the dealers' roof(s) AND it writes records back to the DMS. The CRM is tied to desking, that talks back to the DMS, that updates the website when the unit is sold (or a dep is taken).

Then, there are the merchandising & marketing tasks needed to communicate factory incentives and wrap those inside the Dealers advertising "theme of the month". Look at 100 car dealer websites and 99 of them look the same, 24/7/365. None of them have a fresh look that embraces the "sale that's going on right now!"

Oh no you don't there's more... LOTS MORE!
Let's slip in

• email marketing (a cluster f* all by itself),
  • Pay Per Click (the single greatest overlooked opp),
  • F&I (desking and merchandising),
  • service systems (scheduling, communications, coupons),
  • coupons (all other coupons)
  • chat,
  • SEO, Organic
  • SEO, Local
  • Microsites,
  • Inventory comment generating,
  • Dealer Reputation Management,
  • Social Media,
  • CRM campaign management,
  • digital remarketing,
  • Video (production, hosting, distribution),
  • mobile site(s),
  • Keep all the content fresh (Value ads, sale themes, staff pages, etc)
  • Digital Inventory Audits (is it all working?? often it's NOT!)
Oh... and when a new hire arrives, we gotta train them.

Chris, This is a super complicated game plan with a LOT of moving parts. There is software acquisition, maintenance and let's not forget the always enjoyable cross-platform troubleshooting. You're asking the Dealer to have staff on board that has ALL the skills needed to "make it all operate as planned". Hell, planning alone is a multi-month time suck. think about the enormous task of finding who is "best of class"! ..and that's the EASY PART! ...and then COORDINATE all the systems into a cohesive unified front.

This is what I do every day. In my case, I have been blessed with a few decades of self-employment so I bring a business mentality to the decision making process.

Every single aspect of business, any business, all of it is all about LEADERSHIP. Where can our Dealer find the TECHNOLOGY LEADER with all the assets needed to make it all run like a finely tuned machine?

We're talking about CHOICE.
#1). Dealer creates it's TECHNOLOGY LEADER
#2). Dealer buys it's TECHNOLOGY LEADER.

99.9% of dealers will smartly opt for #2 (#1 can leave without warning!)

If I am a dealer/manager, I will contract with a single vendor who's responsibility is to eat, breath and live technology that will free me to SELL MORE CARS.

AutoTrader Buys VINSolutions Dealer CRM and Services | DealerRefresh
My comment:
The way I see it, if Chip Perry can get all his teams, his team leaders
and his players lined up, there will be no more important asset a dealer
could own than a VINsolutions web site.
In the end, it's ALL about the man at the top, a Dealer picks the leader they think has built the best team.

As of May 2011, for a one call solution, a Dealer has to pick Chip Perry vs Mark O'Neil (isn't it funny how reyrey didn't make the cut ;-)

Game, Set, Match.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person