• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Are we sending to many emails?

parkavebmw

Lot Lizard
Feb 12, 2010
First Name
Gregg
Currently we send between 2-3 email blasts/newsletters a month to our customers in our CRM. This does not include and of our normail followup emails or ticklers setup in our CRM.

We are afraid that if we are sending to many emails a month, we may become spam or the customer may never even open our email to see what we are saying.

How many emails do you guys send per month? What type of open rate should we be looking for? We currently have a 18-20% open rate and of course we want to see that number grow.

Do you mind forwarding me a few of your emails? I'm happy to dive-in on this one a bit deeper, but I want to check out the content of your emails first.

alex DOT snyder AT dealer DOT com (spelling it out that way so the bots don't scrape my email address up).

Personally, I think anything more than one a month is too much. I think about the stuff I get from some of the other automotive blog sites and I am ready to turn it off when I get one a week. I also think salespeople should be doing a news letter, they are the ones you want building a strong relationship with the customer.

Personally, I think anything more than one a month is too much. I think about the stuff I get from some of the other automotive blog sites and I am ready to turn it off when I get one a week. I also think salespeople should be doing a news letter, they are the ones you want building a strong relationship with the customer.

Nice wordpress blog for salespeople and some Aweber email marketing software and you are off to the races.

We have been sending 1 a month. Here are last month's stat's.

2% Bounce Rate
1.8% - Opt outs
15.0% - Opens
15.1% - Clicks

Question - What are everyone's thought of sending our newsletter to all leads that we have received? AT, Cars.com, ebay. Currently we are only sending to our sold customers.

We no longer "blast" emails to our customers. Sure, we have our DMS that does targeted marketing emails, but my best response is when I do the emails.

I like to create "corolla" or "camry" emails that I only send to customers with that specific vehicle in mind.

Then, I don't use a lot of fancy graphics or fonts. I make it a small conversational email that would be tough to differentiate whether it is a mass email or targeted to that specific person. I just relay whatever information I am trying to send out.

I have found that the quality and quantity of the responses is much better with this approach than anything else I have tried.

Now, back to the point of the story. Because the emails aren't in your face marketing pieces, I send them whenever I have a need. It could be once, twice or however many times a month I want. Typically, it isn't more than two or three times, but it could be - and I don't think it would really be offensive or over the top.

Of course, I would love to hear what others think.

Reactions: 1 person
Currently we send between 2-3 email blasts/newsletters a month to our customers in our CRM. This does not include and of our normail followup emails or ticklers setup in our CRM.

We are afraid that if we are sending to many emails a month, we may become spam or the customer may never even open our email to see what we are saying.

How many emails do you guys send per month? What type of open rate should we be looking for? We currently have a 18-20% open rate and of course we want to see that number grow.

Good questions! I'm a huge advocate of email marketing.

2-3 marketing emails a month I would way is right on the mark and maybe just 1 too many depending on the message.

I separate our database out and use 2 different services for Service/Retention and Prospecting.

For service retention email marketing and follow-up I use @utoRevenue. For prospecting I use our CRM and some of my dealers use IMN for their newsletter.

My service database (previous sales/service customers) ONLY gets service messages - service marketing campaigns, appointment reminders and recall notifications. It's VERY rare I hit this database with a sale message and if and when I do it's coupled with a service message as well.

I approach my prospecting database a little different and with a higher send frequency. I usually hit my prospecting database 2 times a month. Soon after the incentives hit and another towards the later middle of the month. I use my CRM for this campaign. Looking at the numbers and from looking at previous years of stats from email marketing, IMO there is really no reason NOT to proceed in this fashion.

Of course our Newsletter is a separate database since we use IMN. Both Prospects and Previous sales/service customers are included in this campaign. Again, looking at the delivery rate, open and opt-out, nothing suggests that I should not do it this way.

Depending on the message - sometimes we will send 2 prospecting email campaigns and the newsletter but usually it's the newsletter then the later middle of the month prospecting campaign.

Yes - this can sometimes be considered too high of a frequency, but the numbers have never suggested I change this.

Note: No matter how great of an article(s) you have in your newsletter - your "sales" ads and inventory links get more action than anything else. Everytime!

We have been sending 1 a month. Here are last month's stat's.

2% Bounce Rate
1.8% - Opt outs
15.0% - Opens
15.1% - Clicks

Question - What are everyone's thought of sending our newsletter to all leads that we have received? AT, Cars.com, ebay. Currently we are only sending to our sold customers.

Not bad. I love to see an open rate in the high teens to low 20's.