• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Assume the quote or probe for clarity

danoneil

Boss
Apr 16, 2009
Awards
First Name
Dan
Curious how everyones feels about inquiries that come in , that have vague information..

For instance.. someone inquires for a vehicle and does not list the trim level. Or the just generically Say Honda Accord EX-L , but doesn't say V6 - manual or automatic ....

Do you send an email asking for clarification of what they want ?

Do you send a quote on something even if it's the wrong vehicle ?

I always found that taking the lowest denominator vehicles works best - example, if they don't specify 4cyl or V6, quote on a 4cyl.

Another option and I have a few dealers that also will quote both. "You can get a 4 cyl model for only $XX,XXX, while a v6 model will run you about $X,XXX more."

It really depends on your market and competition. As always, try to steer the conversation away from price - and move to the phone as quickly as possible. Price emails don't sell cars, having a real conversation, and building your relationship with the consumer will ultimately get you the appointment and the sale. "I can have both a 4cyl and a v6 model ready for a test drive when you arrive for your appointment, what colors do you prefer? Light or Dark?"...etc.

Last edited: