• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

AutoTrader Customers can now use CarFax OR AutoCheck now

kevinfrye

Sr. Refresher
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Kevin
Great news for dealers - see below

Providing AutoTrader.com Customers a Choice in Vehicle History Reports

ATC Team,

We are excited to announce that as of September 1, we will truly be able to offer our dealer customers a choice in vehicle history report (VHR) providers. In addition to our recently signed agreement with Experian, which we announced early this summer, we also have entered into a new agreement with Carfax. This means that as of September 1, dealers can choose to have either Carfax or Experian AutoCheck VHRs included with their inventory listings on AutoTrader.com.

Throughout the next day, there will be a series of communications and updates for the field Sales and Customer Operations teams, as well as directly to our dealer customers. Additionally, a joint press release issued by Carfax and AutoTrader.com will be distributed tomorrow morning.

This is a great win for AutoTrader.com. Through our agreements with both Experian and Carfax, we are setting the standard for dealer choice, and this is a positive outcome for AutoTrader.com, as well as the industry as a whole.

Alan

Reactions: 2 people
Kevin,

Not to be negative about a positive but I wouldn't thank the autotarder team but James A. Ziegler

I believe that the reason for this is that Carfax is under fire so they stopped paying autotarder ($14M a year) to have the exclusive so autocheck couldn't get in. There is plenty for you to read about this issue but going back to autotarder, they did this because they couldn't get their money not because they were looking for what's best for the dealers.

Don't get deceived.

Kevin,

Not to be negative about a positive but I wouldn't thank the autotarder team but James A. Ziegler

I believe that the reason for this is that Carfax is under fire so they stopped paying autotarder ($14M a year) to have the exclusive so autocheck couldn't get in. There is plenty for you to read about this issue but going back to autotarder, they did this because they couldn't get their money not because they were looking for what's best for the dealers.

Don't get deceived.

Yago - where did you see me thanking AutoTrader??? We were very upset about this, and we are glad that the policy has been changed. We have been fighting for this for quite some time, this is a win for dealers.

Yago - where did you see me thanking AutoTrader??? We were very upset about this, and we are glad that the policy has been changed. We have been fighting for this for quite some time, this is a win for dealers.
Kevin,Sorry it came across that way, I know you have advocated for transparency and not corporate games of influence and envelope payments at the dealer's expense like autotarder does.My point was that autotrader makes it look like this is a change of "good will" and it is a change forced by the fight of dealer advocates like you and James Ziegler.Autotrader changed the policy as soon as the envelope stopped coming not because this is a good change for the dealer or the consumer. That is last in the list of importance.

This is great news for dealers using AutoCheck. Last I checked, CarMax was still using AutoCheck.

Thanks for posting the news Kevin. Are you're dealers AutoCheck reporting being listed on AutoTrader.com as of yet? Any difference from what you can tell?

This is great news for dealers using AutoCheck. Last I checked, CarMax was still using AutoCheck.

Thanks for posting the news Kevin. Are you're dealers AutoCheck reporting being listed on AutoTrader.com as of yet? Any difference from what you can tell?

Jeff,

I just checked several dealers that I know use Autocheck and I can't find it on ATC yet. I verified that the dealers have Autocheck on their own websites.

I don't think this has been implemented yet.

The "Get AutoCheck..." is working on ATC in the St. Louis market as of last Saturday. There is a form we had to fill out with AutoCheck and it seems they are slowing getting them processed. Mine isn't live yet (yes I've made calls), but a few others are in the DMA are functional.