• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Autotrader Fraud?

Apr 16, 2009
Awards
First Name
Blake
I need to use up some of the Dealer Refresh knowledge base. A dealer in my area is pricing their vehicles with this disclaimer in the comments:

Seller's Description and Comments **Auto prices reflect a $1000 minimum trade and $500 cash down.

Last edited:
Mark from AutoTrader here. You are correct that such descriptions violate our best practices guidelines and that this dealer will be spoken to (most likely today) by a district sales manager. Anyone unsure of our policies in this arena or wanting some help writing compelling descriptions or more effectively describing / merchandising your inventory should speak to an AutoTrader rep for assistance. Thanks.

Aside from the best practices, there cannot be a legal leg for the dealership to stand on. Purchase or sales price is regardless of the down payment or trade in value. This is akin to saying free cars (after a down payment of only $28000).

On the other hand, if they are creating a sale based on a payment, the payment can be conditional. Even with this practice though, I have to question if the handful of deals you sell versus the number of people who will inevitably be angry with the dealership will truly be beneficial.