• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

AutoTrader Going Public

A business going from private to public won't kill it, what will kill it is it's leader. Its all about leadership... it all about who's at the helm.

Flip it around, from public to private, look at Reynolds, once public, now private. I know of few customers that praise Reynolds for anything.

Compare privately held Reynolds to amazing public company success stories like:
Apple
IBM
GE
Tesla
Amazon
Google
and on and on...

If you look at 100 Best Companies to Work For 2012: Full list - from FORTUNE, I ran down the list, slightly more than 50% are publicly traded companies.

Forget Private vs Public, it's really all about leadership.

Reactions: 2 people
Joe - Agree with you 99%

AutoTrader Group reported revenue of $1.03 billion in 2011, up 38.5 percent from 2010. Net income was $68.1 million last year, up 38.5 percent from 2010. For the first quarter of 2012, revenue climbed 12.5 percent to $273.5 million compared to the first quarter of 2011, but net income dipped by more than a third to $10.2 million.

I just don't understand why or how a company that netted $68.1 million would need a $300 million IPO to "pay off some debt and for other general corporate purposes".

Joe - Agree with you 99%

I just don't understand why or how a company that netted $68.1 million would need a $300 million IPO to "pay off some debt and for other general corporate purposes".
They will now have:
-Capital to leverage for future acquisitions
-The ability to attract senior level executives with stock options vs. paying out a huge salary.

[without going into a boring explanation about "creative" deal structuring]
-Acquisitions are easier to do if you have publicly traded stock

Reactions: 1 person
Autotrader and VinSolutions partnership speculation ...over 1 year ago.

The writing was on the wall with the big round of ATC purchases. Personally, I'm jumping for joy with this news for many reasons (I think you all know how I feel about Autotrader), but mostly because it all just looks like a big payday for Cox, Chip, and Executive Staff. It isn't about evolution or heart.

My opinions aside, I'm also excited to look at whether my guesses were right and I'm even more happy to see they paid more for things than I thought :dance2: ....the fun part when a company goes public ;)

VinSolutions
was acquired for $134.6M cash and up to $15M in earn-outs with $13M paid as of April 2012

• VinSolutions revenue was $12.8M as of March 31, 2012
  • $4.6M operations costs, $2.1M marketing, $3.3M general administrative

vAuto was acquired for $192.8M cash and up to $34.5M in earn-outs with all paid in full (nice job vAuto team!)
  • Revenue was $35M between Jan 1 - Oct 15, 2010

HomeNet was acquired for $61.6M cash (WOW :eek2: )
  • purpose was to enhance internal technology development capabilities and not to provide revenue ...how's that working out?
  • took goodwill impairment charges attributable to HomeNet of $36.4M in 2011 and a further $11.1M in Q1 2012
  • intangible asset impairment charge attributable to HomeNet of $4.5M in Q1 2012 based on "events occurring in late April 2012": "significant customer migration issues during a late-April 2012" and higher costs from an "imminent data license agreement"

KBB was acquired for $532.4M in cash without earn-outs

Maybes based on two non-binding letters of intent for un-named companies in March of 2012 around $16M
  • acquire the assets of a dealer inventory management tool provider?
  • acquire equity interest in an online data provider?

When you go public, it is all on the table for anyone to read.

Reactions: 2 people
I love Alex comment as it couldn't be closer to my thoughts:

"but mostly because it all just looks like a big payday for Cox, Chip, and Executive Staff. It isn't about evolution or heart."

I know that some ATC people will dislike my comments and will come charging to defend their company. I understand, I would have done the same but let me tell you where you should be looking at: Who is hiring.

IMO autotrader started to lose revenue a few years ago as the market changed, websites like Craigslist created an impossible to win-over competition, and dealers realized that $10,000 (or more!) per month to be on ATC wasn't worth it. With great cash reserves they went on the hunt and bought a few great companies. Maybe.

KBB may lose a lot of its value with the new creation of this reputation and review business. While right now customers only review businesses for the most part. Pay attention and check sites like Nike.com, customers don't review Nike as a company but their products. The fact that customers could now quickly review vehicles, their reliability, consumption, comfort, etc may take a lot of relevance to KBB.

vAuto is an absurdly great tool, but without a patent to hold much of what they do there will be 10 other tools with in the next year. Maybe (just maybe) the auction houses will stop their data flow as they realize that since the customers knows the price point of the transaction now they are not making as much money as before. Without ATC having everyone in their site like they sued to have and the auctions holding their data, these tools are dead in the water.

Homenet was probably one of the best companies they bought, but their main team including Jesse Bitter is gone. With recent events and a loss of 40% of their business (rumored) it may be the first victim of the new conglomerate.

Vin solutions is actually the asset that will grow the most. Although I don't believe in the integration of all departments in the dealership (I've seen it to be impossible to manage even with a full time guy on it) it has a great selling pitch. John Holt said at Driving Sales after Chip Perry bragged about Vin that he had tried that and dealers always want to have the best tool for each part of the process. I believe that to be true and for that I concentrate my efforts on having the best system to sell cars.

All that being said and back to Alex, in paper all these companies look great but in real life I see a lot of holes. If you don't agree with me and think that I'm an idiot you can speak louder than what I can write--get the savings out of your bank account and put it all in Autotrader stocks.

"and dealers realized that $10,000 (or more!) per month to be on ATC wasn't worth it."

Yago, what did you pull that figure out of? That must be with the sexual favors package (I was never offered). AutoTrader will not charge on DealerRefresh to defend anything. They are not allowed to comment.

"and dealers realized that $10,000 (or more!) per month to be on ATC wasn't worth it."

Yago, what did you pull that figure out of? That must be with the sexual favors package (I was never offered). AutoTrader will not charge on DealerRefresh to defend anything. They are not allowed to comment.

Many in my market. We know of a Ford dealer in the surrounding Seattle metro currently in the partner program on $18,000/month (new car package, used car package, banners, etc). Sometimes the problem is that it is subsidized by the manufacturer--but it is still your money!

Another Ford dealer 40 miles from Seattle cancelled a few weeks ago a $12,000/month contract.

I don't think these were the exception.