• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

BDC Activity

Start by measuring how many calls per hour to gauge what your people are doing now. Then you can introduce a pay plan that drives toward a little more than that, and a little more, and a little more, and....

I made that switch after Jerry Thibeau (Phone Up Ninjas) suggested that 8 per hour was ideal. We got a few folks all the way up to 12 at one point, but couldn't maintain that pace. Our laggards averaged around 6 to put things in perspective. The base pay was done on the average number of calls in/out per hour with bonuses based on number of appointments that showed. Internet leads helped to raise the number of calls per hour, so we didn't have to make that a stand-alone metric in the pay plan.

P.S. I still have to thank Jerry Thibeau all the way back to (I think) 2006 when he made this suggestion. It was probably the most significant performance increaser I ever implemented in the BDC.

How long does a 5 minute phone call take?

60 minutes in an hour / 5 minute phone call = 12 per hour

8 hour shift * 12 calls = 96 calls

"But sometimes calls take longer than 5 minutes!!!!!!!! I can't do that!!!!"
I'd be willing to bet that at least 50% of the calls don't connect with a customer and take about a minute from dial to voicemail message. It all balances out.

Track by the hour, not by the day. If you wait til the end of a shift before you measure their call volume it's too late to do anything. Get a whiteboard and make a chart. Hours of the day down one side and names of reps down the other. Every hour ask the reps how many calls they made. Less than 12? Encourage them to do better. 12 or more? Give praise. You can also use this opportunity to track other metrics like appointments.

Good luck!