• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Biggest Takeaways from #NADA2014

JD Rucker

Give Away Artist
Feb 12, 2010
First Name
JD
The automotive industry was different in 2013. As a result the big convention of the year was different as well. There was more excitement, higher levels of innovation, and strong efforts put out by vendors and dealers alike to make this the best NADA Convention in years.

Those of you who went, please share some of the biggest and most important takeaways. Not everyone got to go but this was one show that really had some "oomph" to it, so let's discuss some of the winning and losing ideas, strategies, sessions, vendors, and networking experiences from New Orleans so that those who didn't go can take something away from it as well.

Reactions: 1 person
The automotive industry was different in 2013. As a result the big convention of the year was different as well. There was more excitement, higher levels of innovation, and strong efforts put out by vendors and dealers alike to make this the best NADA Convention in years.

Those of you who went, please share some of the biggest and most important takeaways. Not everyone got to go but this was one show that really had some "oomph" to it, so let's discuss some of the winning and losing ideas, strategies, sessions, vendors, and networking experiences from New Orleans so that those who didn't go can take something away from it as well.

This was my first NADA (that is correct, I have always stuck with the digital conferences) and I would share that the exhibit hall was overwhelming. I think it would take me a solid week to see everything. With that in mind, I was very glad I had put together an agenda before I arrived on who to see and what I looked to accomplish.

I was very impressed at how many transactions/deals actually close at the show. I enjoyed being able to see the top people from each organization at their booths (most of them), as well as get the announcements of the newest solutions and technologies available. Watch out for the new Haystak/VinSolutions websites, impressive data advantage driving them...

I spoke 3 times, and the biggest difference I saw was that the majority of my audience were dealer principals. This was also reflected in the questions/conversations I had after each session with the attendees. I continue to be surprised at how many dealers are just now thinking about making the major changes needed to succeed in the market. I also had several international attendees which was fun.

Overall, everything is at a larger level. It is certainly easier to network at the smaller events, but with the tools we have with social media and more, I was able to connect with LOTS of my automotive friends. I should have some pics/video up shortly...

Reactions: 4 people
Mine was "The Digital Crisis that is Slowly Killing Your Dealership", addressing changes that dealers must make to succeed in our digital market. There are still many dealers that have failed to embrace digital, and change with our moving market.

Kevin, I had no idea this was your first NADA. NADA is Craziness. Enjoy it from the dealer and consultant level.. :) The vendor side leaves little time for catching up and checking out the different vendors and services.

2 quick takeaways, or should I say trends that have progressed much quicker (across our industry) than I thought would.

1. Adaptive designed websites. I was really surprised to see so many platforms offer this feature as quick as they have. I really thought many would struggle getting their existing platform to offer a smooth adaptive design feature. I stand corrected.

A few that I had the time to checkout included (but not limited to): ADP/Cobalt, Dealer.com, DealerFire, DealerOn, Dominion (one of the first to offer).

2. Mobile apps., While not as abundant as adaptive design, it's great to see the industry not only embrace but really figure out how mobile apps can fit into the dealer to consumer landscape. We've had many discussions here on DealerRefresh around mobile:

Mobile Websites or Dealership Mobile Apps - Which Is it?

Dealer Branded Mobile Apps
5 Ways to Promote Your Dealerships Mobile App

Many of us here have been on the fence on where mobile apps should be used (sales or service), if at all. But after seeing some of the offerings by DME, AutoMotionTV and even the new mobile app from eLead1CRM (integration with their CRM), I believe mobile apps have found their place and I'm excited to see where it goes.

This was my first time going to NADA, since flying out of Montana is a nightmare. The common theme I heard from the exhibition hall, and with one on ones was that everyone is working on improving their processes. I can't tell you the number of Internet Sales Managers I talked to expressing interest in more intuitive ways to categorize lead types. As in, if the first response email said that they were looking for this kind of vehicle, and were shopping by price, then all proceeding conversations should fit that design.

I was also surprised at the luke warm welcome of SEO at the conference. Maybe it was because I was at the end of the exhibit hall, but I saw dozens of eyes glaze over at the mere mention of SEO.

-Vauto Conquest product
-Dominion Suite of Products continues to get better
-Dealer.com enhancements to website products for merchandising and pricing
-AutoTraders takeover off several companies is starting to take shape(Haystack, Homenet, Vauto, etc....)
-Too many CRM vendors along with too many other vendors in other spaces...many of them won't stay in business or get bought out
-Dealer AppVantage app- The best app for dealers I have ever seen
-Speakers that I saw were excellent this year. Much better than in years past
-More and more regulation of the auto business from Federal Government
-Excellent attendance this year!
-I saw some small vendors with some great ideas...showroom Kiosks are starting to get good and long overdue

Thats all I can think of right now...

Reactions: 4 people