• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Books that changed who you are

danoneil

Boss
Apr 16, 2009
Awards
First Name
Dan
I wanted to get some feedback on what type of books that you have read that have changed you , either personally or in your sales or business skills. I am certain the Bible may come up many times for many of us, including me. But I want feedback on other books.

For me, the 1st book that changed me as a salesperson or in business is Dale Carnegie "How to win friends and influence people". I have it sitting on my desk and it constantly reminds me of many good business as well as personal things that help me deal with customers, friends and co-workers.

This may seem a little strange, but " Don't sweat the small stuff" is another book that I read that kind of put life's priorities in line.

The Purpose Driven Life is another book that helped shape my goals in life.

I saw that "good to great" was one of the #1 selling books in the last decade and I had never heard of it. Any one read it ?

What about books by Warren Buffett ? Or Bill Gates ?

Changed who we are? There are a lot for me. Here are a few off the top of my head:

Einstein's Essays - a very matter of fact way of looking at the evolution of man
From Beirut to Jerusalem by Tom Friedman - great explanation of where "terrorism" comes from
The Civil War by Shelby Foote - 3 volumes that come as close to "fully" explaining this part of American history and where many divides stem from
I hope they serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max - changed the way I approach Friday nights :lol:
The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby - changed the way I use Photoshop and how I approach photography
We All Win by Audrey Knoth - book about Checkered Flag that helped me better understand where my family comes from and what we stand for.
Meatball Sundae by Seth Godin - changed the way I look at modern car dealerships

Some of my favorite classics: Moby Dick, The Old Man and the Sea, The Odyssey, the Prince, The Great Gatsby. I have learned various lessons from each of those.

Over 20 years ago I read Your Erroneous Zones by Dr. Wayne Dyer....all I can say is if you read it, it will give you a better perspective on life and a better understanding of yourself. Great Book...still use a lot of what I learned daily!

Have read many other great books, but this one had the most positive impact on my life.

30years ago, this guy showed me what was coming and I bought in... The Third Wave, by Alvin Toffler

In the early 1980s, during the oil crisis, everywhere you looked the USA was looking like it was in its final days. Toffler spoke of a coming information age where workers could "tele-commute from their electronic cottage". WOW! I am liking this! This was when it s VERY VERY BAD to have more than 2 items pluged into any outlet (A/C was used for light and heat!). Hell, Cable TV was just a baby then and few places had it.

Toffler Quotes I like:

• "Future shock is the dizzying disorientation brought on by the premature arrival of the future."
  • "If you don't develop a strategy of your own, you become a part of someone else's strategy."
  • "Idea-assassins rush forward to kill any new suggestion on the grounds of its impracticality, while defending whatever now exists as practical, no matter how absurd."

Last edited:
Coveys "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" is a must read for anyone in the business nowadays. I picked it up after we had Sean V Bradley on site for a week and saw how much it influenced him and thought I had to be missing something by not reading it! After going through it now twice, I really feel I have a much better grasp on things that are in my "circle of influence" and spend more time working on things that are in my control and worrying less about things I can't change. Any manager in the car business who is struggling with the rigorous multitasking that has now become so commonplace in our business can truly benefit from this read. Great book.