• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Car dealerships... RENT out cars??

Maddie.A

Green Pea
Mar 12, 2020
First Name
Madelaine
Hi all,

I'm new here as of 6 minutes ago lol. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm from the Bay Area in CA. Pretty new in the industry, started as a sole prop. about 2 months ago. Ok so to cut to the chase, for all of my California (or otherwise very knowledgeable) dealers- are we legally able to rent out our cars? Please provide me with ALL of the info that you know- also reaching out to our local Occupational Licensing branch to see if they have any info. Sometimes they can take forever to get back to you. Thank you!

Update- I called our local occupational branch, and their response was: "Dealer's license only allows for you to buy and sell cars, nothing else." I'm still wondering if there are ways around it, legally of course. Because from doing a basic google search, bigger car dealerships rent out cars, albeit not a super common knowledge concept.

From my experience, the new car stores I've worked at have offered rentals mainly as an amenity for service customers. I think the closest thing you'll want to look into as a used car dealer in CA would be lease here pay here.

After this current and upcoming crash, smaller dealerships that barely stay alive each month are definitely going to be looking for new avenues to make income. Maybe a slight pivot? Unsure of the laws in Cali, but they seem strict knowing everything else about CA.