• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
Cars.com announced this morning it is acquiring the Chicago-based automotive retail technology firm Dealer Inspire and its digital advertising agency Launch Digital Marketing.

http://www.thebanksreport.com/home-page/cars-com-acquires-dealer-inspire/

Congrats to @joechura! This is inspirational to all automotive entrepreneurs. Quite the fast, successful, ride :thumbup:

--------------------------------- This just in --------------------------------

Joe Chura will be joining us on the Refresh Friday live broadcast tomorrow. If you have any questions you'd like us to ask him, please post those in this thread. You'll have more chances to ask during the show in case a topic of conversation triggers something for you then.

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 2.15.01 PM.png

Watch it here:

Last edited:
It was just a matter of time before they were acquired by a major group. Their explosive growth and far superior provisions made them remarkable. I once told my boss at a former employer who was developing a Cold Fusion / CFML proprietary system, that one day an auto website group would leverage an open source platform like WordPress and make many millions doing it (no need to update the core, as the open source community would do it, many themes had already been created = the paths had already been set for automotive implementation for DI, plenty of solvent plug-ins that could be generically used by a dealer and/or a group like DI would create new (autocentric) ones based upon them, etc.), circa 9 years ago. I've been boasting their wares for some time, so a big congratz to @joechura and Matthew Cole (co-founder).

Cars.com will pay $165 million in cash for Dealer Inspire. There are additional incentives up to $40 million for over-performance over a three-year period. Someone is smiling... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: craigh
Guys, I have a question about this and acquisitions in general. Maybe you guys can shed some insights for me. The question surrounds the customer shopper data. So does Cars now have access to all the dealers customer shopper / DMS data that was stored in DI's databases???

Guys, I have a question about this and acquisitions in general. Maybe you guys can shed some insights for me. The question surrounds the customer shopper data. So does Cars now have access to all the dealers customer shopper / DMS data that was stored in DI's databases???

Only someone from Cars.com or Dealer Inspire can answer that directly. But that does kinda fit in the definition of ownership don't it?

Each Wordpress site likely has that data stored separately.
The trick will be if they use a third party tracking tool to track visits from Cars.com and DealerInspire together, offering new attribution data.
But yes, they own all the data that comes with the company, which certainly has value if DI has been tracking it properly.

Reactions: ed.brooks