• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

cars.com price increase

After a year without cars.com, our Buick/GMC store will be back on the grape kool-aid in January. It's a different package and disconnected from the net/trad we had last time so I can't speak to the net price change. I'm looking forward to seeing if there have been any changes to the amount/quality of leads/traffic from Cars.

A dealer of mine recently showed me a letter stating:

"I am reaching out to you because I can no longer allow "Insert Dealer name here" to list USED inventory ONLY. As part of a Franchise group, we are required to list NEW & USED inventory on cars.com. With that being said, my manager is keeping your current package in place until December, 31 2014.

Beginning Jan, 2015 you will have to decide if you would like to continue on cars.com with a Franchise ad package. Your NEW inventory will perform well on our site and brand your dealership."

The rates for this dealer weren't proposed to be doubled but were close.

After a year without cars.com, our Buick/GMC store will be back on the grape kool-aid in January. It's a different package and disconnected from the net/trad we had last time so I can't speak to the net price change. I'm looking forward to seeing if there have been any changes to the amount/quality of leads/traffic from Cars.

We took a break from Cars.com for a year or so also because of poor lead quality and almost zero ROI. About 2 months ago we decided to give it another shot and I can assure that nothing has changed for us. Actually, if anything, I've noticed that the leads are even worse now. It's almost 100% consumed by people who want to finance a $5,000 car with no credit, job, or cash. Not sure if it's a recent change, but I think the huge Road Loans ads all around our inventory probably have something to do with it.

I prefer Cars.com over AT when I'm shopping for a new vehicle - but their biggest problem (and mine) is there are just too many listings to search through. Their retargeting efforts are pretty good, though.

When I shop for a vehicle, I personally prefer the mobile version of Autotrader. I like the stripped down version; I dont need to see all of the other crap- just show me my search results.

I know we're drifting off topic...
We have not received notice of a cost increase from cars.com (yet).

Last edited:
My rep was in Monday and let me know our contract was up. Our renew rate for the exact same product would be 145% higher than our current bill for the exact same product. We could strip down to baseline package for an increase of 20%. I cancelled today. 20 minutes later I received a new contract for "when" I want to come back at a baseline price of 75% increase. No thanks, I'll take that money and invest it in making our own site better and convert at a higher rate. Can't wait until our contract is up at our other store.