• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Carvana?? Who and What are they?

I've never heard of them but these "agencies" pop-up all the time. They cater to the customer that doesn't want the typical dealership experience.

"Cutting out the dealerships translates to $1,500 of lower cost for us on every vehicle we sell. What does that mean for you? We pass the savings on to you in four ways: lower prices, premium cars, a better experience, and no hidden fees."

Many of these agencies are successful when they stay small enough to keep the customer experience to the advertised / expected level. But good luck making any real revenue with it unless maybe you get into the service side.

I spent some time looking at this site last week. They have the best visual VDP I've seen, hands down!

The prominent "Start Tour" button leads the consumer on a virtual walkaround complete with features and blemishes. The interior and exterior 360 spins with slick panning interface exceeded my expectations and really nailed it on the cool factor. I've bought a used car sight-unseen before and this presentation certainly would have made that decision easier for me.

This is how inventory display should be done if we truly believe that the majority of the buying decision occurs before the test drive.
2011 Infiniti IPL G Coupe for Sale | Carvana® | 2000001427

What do you think Ed and Jeff? If they are backed by a retailer with a national footprint, shouldn't they be able to scale in a way that other smaller agencies haven't been able to do successfully?

I spent some time looking at this site last week. They have the best visual VDP I've seen, hands down!

The prominent "Start Tour" button leads the consumer on a virtual walkaround complete with features and blemishes. The interior and exterior 360 spins with slick panning interface exceeded my expectations and really nailed it on the cool factor. I've bought a used car sight-unseen before and this presentation certainly would have made that decision easier for me.

This is how inventory display should be done if we truly believe that the majority of the buying decision occurs before the test drive.
2011 Infiniti IPL G Coupe for Sale | Carvana® | 2000001427

What do you think Ed and Jeff? If they are backed by a retailer with a national footprint, shouldn't they be able to scale in a way that other smaller agencies haven't been able to do successfully?
The technology behind the VDP is VERY cool! The style is closer to a FastCompany article than the traditional car listing - I love the huge hero shot at the top!

They certainly are using negative advertising to paint the typical dealer as less than ethical. They also advertise they will save consumers $1500. They get their vehicles from the same places dealers get their vehicles. False advertising in my opinion. John Q Public will probably fall for this.