• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
Get Podium

Chrome Extension shows competitor Google My Business categories

georgenenni

Rust & Dust
Apr 13, 2012
First Name
George
We released a cool new (and free) Chrome Extension this morning called GMBspy. Many of us know that Google My Business (GMB) categories can be read for any location by searching the HTML. This process works, but is clumsy and slow. Why care about GMB categories? I believe they are one of the keys to learning why some businesses rank higher in local search than others. Should the OEM category be placed first or last? What are the best secondary categories for high-scoring locations? I’ve always loved and used Chrome Extensions, and I felt this would be the perfect application.

Click here to download:
https://bit.ly/GMBspy

Attachments

Increase Test Drive Appointments!

mbloom19

Lot Lizard
Feb 20, 2013
First Name
Mike
George - I have been using this since last week and I just wanted to share how great this product is. Thanks to you for building it and sharing it!

Reactions: georgenenni

ChrisR

Boss
Oct 12, 2015
First Name
Christian
I installed it, and all of the searches I have done show just dots, no categories - even when I search for my own store, and I know we have categories in there.

Any ideas George?

Get Podium

georgenenni

Rust & Dust
Apr 13, 2012
First Name
George
I installed it, and all of the searches I have done show just dots, no categories - even when I search for my own store, and I know we have categories in there.

Any ideas George?
Make sure you are using google.com/maps instead of google.com/search This issue is fixed in latest version. Also, refreshing browser helps clear issues.

Reactions: ChrisR

georgenenni

Rust & Dust
Apr 13, 2012
First Name
George
Glyn_Hopkin_Fiat_Buckhurst_Hill_-_Google_Maps.jpg

Version 1.4 of our GMBspy Chrome extension is now live and available for free download from the Chrome Store. This is our official international version, supporting google.co.uk, google.es, google.com.ca and others domains. We launched 2 weeks ago and are already approaching 2,000 users, most of which are outside the U.S. Version 1.4 works much more natively with international browsers, I just ran some tests and everything seems to be working as designed. Please share your feedback, thank you!

Click here to download from the Chrome Store:

Get Podium