• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Where to start with Commercial Sales and Marketing

Jan 25, 2017
First Name
Amy
Hello all,

I am new here and fairly new to the business. I wasn't completely sure where to post my question. But, here goes...... does anyone work for a dealership that focused on 99% commercial business? How do you even begin to market to that type of buyer? My first instinct is that they won't be searching sites like Auto Trader and Car Guru.. But, I obviously don't know and that is why I am asking for help!

Thank you!

Get your foot in the door of local businesses and business owners. Get them set up with a commercial account. Find out if they have any internal communications to employees (like and internal newsletter.) I would even consider a separate website or a Commercial Log-in portion or even "Click here for your Commercial Price" and have a field to verify their place of business. Some solid handout that promotes the benefits and the feature on your website would be beneficial.

@Jason pulled out a solid link from the archives. Thanks Jason!

Hi Amy! - I was once in your shoes! We also have a commercial sales departments within our auto group. One of the most effective means of marketing we've consistently done within the last 5 years is purchasing company data within our PMA (selective zip codes w/ business types) - once we broke down the data we organized it by company type. Creating a "why buy here" letter with our commercial inventory (I can send you a sample), and send roughly 35 letters a day. When we have the staff we had our BDC call the companies asking if they had received their "exclusive" business pricing. The commercial sales manager would then plan his route based on the engagement we got. If when he visited he got their email we would email a follow-up email blast. We have gained at least 1 or 2 clients per business from using the letters. Many of which have been repeat residual business! The best thing to do is start small. Understanding what markets you are after - noting that a lot of these marketing tactics are "seed planting" that commercial buyers often take time to develop a relationship with. That being said, the more they're aware of who you are and what you have to offer that can save their business money the more their ears will be open. Good luck, and send me your email and I will gladly share some marketing concepts and ideas.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner