• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Craigslist can work if done correctly

Jake L

Over the Curb
Dec 2, 2010
First Name
Jake
These stats over the last 6 days only...but have been doing this for over 4 months now. Total CL sales: 43 and counting :D

2iuw70n.jpg

If you can't see the image the stats go as so:
Unique Visitors: 386 Page Views: 1,027 Form Submissions: 22 Submission Rate: 6.5% Bounce Rate: 56.5%

This conversion rate is actually better then our global website submission rate.

I'm pretty busy right now but around lunch time I'll post some tips covering how I got CL to work as a dealer.

Last edited:
I actually do craigslisting for a local dealership. They get all of their sales from craigslist alone. I have been doing their craigslist for the last 2 years.
Craigslist is the way to go hands down.
We also found that simple text ads with a link back to the website for more information is much more effective than costly html ads.

It would be cool to see a Craigslist ad that you feel works. I think the plain idea with a link back to the vehicle is more effective on Craigs. It isn't too popular here in Canada, everyone uses Kijiji here for Autos.

Kijiji (Ebay Company): Ontario cars for sale, buy used autos - Kijiji Ontario

They recently started charging dealers for ads so it weeded out some of the vulchers.

I had an intern posting to CL. Lost the intern, went to cargigi via HomeNet's intellipost. HATED the page they put up, but, I had no other way to get it done.

AutoTrader.com/HomeNet just dropped CarGigi.

[FONT=&quot]Subject: [/FONT]Discontinuance of Support for Intelli-Post Service

[FONT=&quot]
email_banner.gif
[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
NOTICE OF DISCONTINUANCE OF
SUPPORT FOR INTELI-POST SERVICE

Dear HomeNet Dealer:
As of December 23, 2010, HN Acquisition, Inc. (doing business as “HomeNet”) has acquired most of the assets of HomeNet, Inc. and HomeNet Automotive, LLC. This letter is to notify you that, as of December 23, the acquiring company (HomeNet) will no longer offer the Inteli-Post service and that, as of January 22, 2011, HomeNet, will no longer provide data in support of the “Inteli-Post ” tool or any related service on behalf of dealers using HomeNet’s IOL Lite platform. HomeNet will continue to provide inventory data exports to CARgigi for IOL Pro platform licensees.
If you have any questions regarding the continuation of CARgigi services, you may contact CARgigi directly.
If you are uncertain if your dealership is an IOL Pro licensee, please contact your HomeNet Sales Representative.

Sincerely,

Bob Landers
General Manager
HomeNet

I will break it down the best I can.

Pre-Advertising
You must remember who you are advertising to on Craigslist.

Almost everyone on CL is looking for a deal and probably needs some type of special financing, at least that seems how it is in my market.

That being said, I tend to NOT list vehicles over 25K MSRP, new vehicles or luxury vehicles. Point above.

The Title
The title is the MOST IMPORTANT part of your listing.
Most CL users are looking for ANY vehicle to purchase, not a specific type. They are looking for the best deal they can get. Therefore, if you have a title that stands out theres a good chance a user will click it, even if uninterested in that particular vehicle type. Once on the page, if your CL sales copy is good enough, you can convert them.

Use special characters in your title post. Special Characters in HTML

Any of these will work. I've found ones with arrows pointing towards the post have almost a 35% higher CTR.

Mix caps locks and regular type together. It's a lot more eye catching. EX: 2008 Ford Fusion /// SUPER CLEAN /// Only 32K Miles

List your dealership city IN your CL title. EX: 2007 Ford Fusion in WACO, TX

I am not sure why users click more when a city is included, but they do.

Do not add a listing without SOME SORT OF DESCRIPTION in your title. Add mileage, condition, ext. color, aftermarket add-on, etc. Nothing is separating you from the pack with a title like "2001 Toyota Camry"

The Post
DO NOT GIVE TOO MUCH INFORMATION IN YOUR POST - If a car shopper can gather all the information they need for a purchase from your CL ad - then you will RARELY get an eLead.

Good post:
[SPECIAL CHARACTERS] YEAR MAKE MODEL /// EXTRA COMMENTS /// City, State
^^^^^
Title

YEAR MAKE MODEL
MILEAGE
TRANSMISSION

....will finish this tomorrow. I'm WAYYYY to busy to write a free craigslist ebook for dealers :D

I will break it down the best I can.

Pre-Advertising
You must remember who you are advertising to on Craigslist.

Almost everyone on CL is looking for a deal and probably needs some type of special financing, at least that seems how it is in my market.

That being said, I tend to NOT list vehicles over 25K MSRP, new vehicles or luxury vehicles. Point above.

The Title
The title is the MOST IMPORTANT part of your listing.
Most CL users are looking for ANY vehicle to purchase, not a specific type. They are looking for the best deal they can get. Therefore, if you have a title that stands out theres a good chance a user will click it, even if uninterested in that particular vehicle type. Once on the page, if your CL sales copy is good enough, you can convert them.

Use special characters in your title post. Special Characters in HTML

Any of these will work. I've found ones with arrows pointing towards the post have almost a 35% higher CTR.

Mix caps locks and regular type together. It's a lot more eye catching. EX: 2008 Ford Fusion /// SUPER CLEAN /// Only 32K Miles

List your dealership city IN your CL title. EX: 2007 Ford Fusion in WACO, TX

I am not sure why users click more when a city is included, but they do.

Do not add a listing without SOME SORT OF DESCRIPTION in your title. Add mileage, condition, ext. color, aftermarket add-on, etc. Nothing is separating you from the pack with a title like "2001 Toyota Camry"

The Post
DO NOT GIVE TOO MUCH INFORMATION IN YOUR POST - If a car shopper can gather all the information they need for a purchase from your CL ad - then you will RARELY get an eLead.

Good post:
[SPECIAL CHARACTERS] YEAR MAKE MODEL /// EXTRA COMMENTS /// City, State
^^^^^
Title

YEAR MAKE MODEL
MILEAGE
TRANSMISSION

....will finish this tomorrow. I'm WAYYYY to busy to write a free craigslist ebook for dealers :D

You could probably write a 10 page guide and sell it for $20 a pop. Just sayin.

Reactions: 1 person
I actually do craigslisting for a local dealership. They get all of their sales from craigslist alone. I have been doing their craigslist for the last 2 years.
Craigslist is the way to go hands down.
We also found that simple text ads with a link back to the website for more information is much more effective than costly html ads.

Do they advertise just in their local market on CL or surrounding cities as well?