• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Data Extraction

Jun 28, 2011
First Name
Gregg
I'm looking to do some data extraction. Some data will come from service and other data from parts. From service I'm looking to pull basic repair order summary information (RO, Vehicle Make, pay type, parts costs, parts sale, parts discount). From service I'm looking to pull basic information (RO number, part make, part number, part description, cost, sale, quantity). I would be pulling this from several stores. I know for the service end, I'd need access to 6910 and the AA.SER.WIP database. I'm not sure which parts database I'd have to pull from.

With the restrictions Reynolds has placed on the system to keep outsiders out of a system, is there any issues I'll run into? It seems likely I'd have to do some form of remote desktop into the dealership with a GoToMyPC or LogMeIn. Will I run into a problem with the amount of data I'd be pulling? It would probably be 3 to 6 months of data.

Could there be any reports already in Reynolds that would fit the bill to extract the data or pre-built templates in 6910?

Gregg,

You can use 6910 -I would look at Query Builder which should work better for you, at-least until that's taken away too. For Service, you should be able to find what you're looking for in AA.SER.WIP. For parts, the current month is in PROD.HIST and previous months are archived individually by month named as PRH.YYMM (PRH.1105 for May of this year). You will have to pull each month separately and append the files if you want to use them as one.

Have fun!

Cliff

Cliff,

Thanks for the clarification and tips. From my understanding from the rare use of 6910, it's probably best to build a report in 6910 since you can find out the field names more easily and then duplicate it by copying it into Query Builder.

I have used AutoMate to pull this same type of information and their version of Report Generator is a dream to work with.

Gregg

With the restrictions Reynolds has placed on the system to keep outsiders out of a system, is there any issues I'll run into? It seems likely I'd have to do some form of remote desktop into the dealership with a GoToMyPC or LogMeIn. Will I run into a problem with the amount of data I'd be pulling? It would probably be 3 to 6 months of data.

It's more likely that you'll run into problems automating tasks like these. I would go out of my way to develop a close relationship with someone who has access to 6210. You'll need it in the coming months.