• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dealer websites with excellent User Experience

Casey77

Full Sticker + Prep
May 18, 2018
First Name
Casey
Hello there!

I created this thread in hopes of disproving the fact that car dealers don't care how usable their websites are, and software vendors don't care about products they are developing, and that the only thing they both care about is money.

I was inspired by this discussion https://forum.dealerrefresh.com/threads/piss-poor-user-experience-usability.5847/

Let's share pictures of or links to the automotive websites with excellent or at least good user experience.

I'll start

I liked this one https://www.wallworktrucks.com, I think the interface is okay, no pop ups (at least within first 2-3 minutes, which is already a big difference from what I usually see). It's definitely a mobile version or a responsive web design. PS: screenshot was taken via iPhone10
upload.png

Last edited:
Your sites look much better than most Dealer Inspire sites, so that's good!

Not sure how I feel about the blue on yellow for the little tab down thing. And the bottom of the home page hero has what appears to be a bunch of ads. If you want to push internal ads, I recommend that they don't look like ads and instead are more integrated into the website. With those full-on banner ads being posted at the bottom, most people won't even look at them because they look like advertisements.

I'm still extremely frustrated with the fact that all DI sites use their own logo for the favicon.

Everyone please pick apart mine www.usedcarking.com and www.newcarking.com

I used to love UsedCarKing.com (even if I gave them a hard time) - I believe it was on Dealer.com then
This looks like a DealerInspire site. It has the DealerInspire dotted video, the DealerInspire value dropdown, The DealerInspire vehicle search.
There's nothing wrong with it, just very little unique about it.
The VDP photos seem a bit too big, the ads that @AWNick mentioned I agree with and the homepage CTAs have tiny white text instead of action calling text.

Mobile:
I can barely read the text on these "ads" you have plastered on your pages
A single car on the VLP takes 1.5 scrolls on the phone - makes browsing multiple vehicles an ordeal
The VLP call to actions are all messed up
  • Explore Payment Options - jumps me from step 1 to step 99 and I'm in a new tab giving personal information
  • Download the Sun Auto App - what? I am already on your site, why would I download an app?
  • I'm Interested - jumps right into a lead form, haven't even seen the car yet
  • Click anywhere else (not intuitive) - see the car details on the VDP
The VDP has a few annoyances:
  • The discounts from the VLP are missing on the mobile VDP
  • The chat now button is covering text that I need to read
  • Call to action buttons are buried at the bottom of the VDP (other than Save and Ask?)
  • Watch TV is a prominent CTA on mobile and just takes me away from what I am doing

Ya know, me personally, I've always though that Carmax has always had a pretty good website. I like their new feature of highlighting the images of the key features and putting them in a seperate section on the page along with being able to include a form link overlay CTA on the photo as well.

upload_2018-6-27_12-57-36.png

upload_2018-6-27_12-59-2.png

upload_2018-6-27_12-58-22.png