• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

DealerRater Analytics (Or lack thereof)

emilymoore

Boss
Feb 21, 2011
Awards
First Name
Emily
DealerRater offers ad space on their Dealer Directory Page(s), but I found out that they do not offer any Impression or CTR reporting. So, I have 2 questions for DealerRater...

1) Why is this info not available? If I pay for banner advertising, I would like some way of measuring its effectiveness.

2) I am curious, since there are not any measurements available to us, does DealerRater have an idea of how many of its visitors are in the buying stage and actively looking for a dealer versus consumers who already purchased and are there to leave their feedback?

Thanks in advance,
Emily

Reactions: 2 people
I emailed them end of February wanting to get an idea of the number of avg. monthly visitors and pageviews that view our Dealership review page... but I never heard back from them.

does DealerRater have an idea of how many of its visitors are in the buying stage and actively looking for a dealer versus consumers who already purchased and are there to leave their feedback?
That would be great to see!

Hey Emily,

I think there may have been some miscommunication here, and I apologize. We recently relaunched the site to include zip driven, DMA, search. I'm working right now on getting you the data that you need and will call you directly once I have it. I think the confusion was that we didn't have the data, because it quite literally didn't exist ;).

As for the second part of your question, we absolutely do have insight into the "in-market researcher" vs. "post-purchase reviewer" ratio. The percentage fluctuates from month to month, but it is generally under 5% of total traffic. Just to be clear, 95% of the page views on DealerRater are not associated in any way with writing a review.

Look forward to chatting with you,
Ryan

Reactions: 1 person
Just a little bit off topic from banner ad analytics, but wanted to say I am always impressed when I review my Google Analytics and see the referral traffic to my website from DealerRater. They show up prominently in organic search and send a decent amount of traffic to my website each month And these customers are not bouncing, they are actually spending better than average time viewing inventory and learning about our store.

Reactions: 3 people
Bill, can you clarify this point?
How do they show up in your organic search?

Craigh

Many customers search for us by our name, and DealerRater shows up very high in organic search. In most cases they are in the second position after listing on Google page one for my dealerships name. This is where the referral traffic to the website is coming from. I hope that answers your question.

Hi Craig - I think you misread what you quoted, those were two statements.

Yup, that explained it :p
I was so confused as to how people were searching for dealerrater and finding their website.
Mystery solved.

Thanks Chip.

Craigh

Many customers search for us by our name, and DealerRater shows up very high in organic search. In most cases they are in the second position after listing on Google page one for my dealerships name. This is where the referral traffic to the website is coming from. I hope that answers your question.

Sorry Bill,
As per the above I completely misread your statement.
That makes far more sense. DealerRater shows up far later for us, but I'm sure that's tied to the number of reviews / content on DealerRater as well.

Bill mentioned "banner ads" but then the conversation was steered towards organic traffic and placement.

Bill, are you seeing referring traffic from your main ad (banner ad) on your DealerRater page?

From my experience, this placement is a no brainier as it yields (if done correctly) some of the highest CTR I've ever soon for a banner ad.