• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Deceptive Disclaimers - How to you prep your lead for it

danoneil

Boss
Apr 16, 2009
Awards
First Name
Dan
This month we have been seeing a huge swing in quotes that are deceptive and not realistic.

Of coarse customers are not reading the fine print. Some will give us an opportunity to match or beat, but some leads we may never hear from.

We do not hide anything with our quotes other than there may be accessories added. In stock vehicles have accessories , but customers can reserve an incoming vehicle and request no accessories.

What I want to know is how Internet Mnagers handle the deceptive nature of price quotes.

Here is an example.

" BLAH BLE Honda reserves the right to correct any prices sent in error. Prices may not always be available when customer contracts with AHFC finance specials or HLT lease special programs."

OR
Your price quote is valid for 3 days and does not include Dealer Installed Accessories, Tax, License, Destination or Doc Fees. We reserve the right to modify this quote to correct arithmetic errors. Incentive and pricing programs are subject to change by Manufacturer without notice. These vehicles may not be on our lot but are available upon request.

Or should we be deceptive as well ? If you can't beat um join um thing ?

I wouldn't stoop to their tactics as ultimately these scams backfire on those perpetrating them. How about including these examples in your followup emails, as a FYI to let the customer know how these other dealers operate. You could send it out as part of th FQR (first quality response) and on subsequent contacts. I think they will appreciate your honesty and intent to help them make the best decision and see through the crap sent out by your competitors.

This is our current discalimer " *We include all Honda factory incentives that are available. Price is valid on in-stock vehicles. Quote expires last day of current month, and is subject to change with factory price increases. This quote is not valid with any coupons or other special offers.This email is sent to those individuals who have voluntarily provided their email address for the purpose of dealer communication.

Would anyone suggest changing or adding ?

Here's my disclaimer:

Your Lexus of Towson preferred Internet Price is: $xxxxxx*
Includes $875 destination but does not include tax, tags or $100 dealer processing.

I can't be any more straight forward then that.

Hello Mark from AA :hello: funny to see you on here.

This is our current discalimer " *We include all Honda factory incentives that are available. Price is valid on in-stock vehicles. Quote expires last day of current month, and is subject to change with factory price increases. This quote is not valid with any coupons or other special offers.This email is sent to those individuals who have voluntarily provided their email address for the purpose of dealer communication.

Would anyone suggest changing or adding ?

The only thing I would add is if it includes freight or not. I know a few stores that include freight in the quotes and make that nice and bold, something along the lines of "unlike other Dealers that like to play games we include freight in all of our quotes to give you a true price..." etc. It brings up the fact that others might be playing games from the get go.

Dan Morgan said:
Hello Mark from AA :hello: funny to see you on here.
Actually I have browsed here for about a year, finally registered. We are all in this together, might as well know what each other is thinking

When I read the Thread Topic I thought to myself that guy works at a Honda Store... So I clicked in and sure enough you do. We have recently seen the same tactic out here on the west coast at a Honda Store to the south of us.

Might have something to do with the stair step retro incentive on Accords.

When you ask what to do about this.. In my opinion you can only be honest and straight forward even though consumers have a innate distrust of salespeople. You will see consumers in your market return after visiting a dealer who told them one thing and delivered another once they arrive.

I would take your disclosure and point out the "tricks" the other dealers are playing and place this information into a informative semi professional transparent video you can send to your customers. Of course the video would have to be engaging enough to keep the customer watching but during this time you would be educating the customer on what to look for and how to compare pricing / apples to apples.

Place this video on a landing page within dealer website.

When I read the Thread Topic I thought to myself that guy works at a Honda Store... So I clicked in and sure enough you do. We have recently seen the same tactic out here on the west coast at a Honda Store to the south of us.

Might have something to do with the stair step retro incentive on Accords.

When you ask what to do about this.. In my opinion you can only be honest and straight forward even though consumers have a innate distrust of salespeople. You will see consumers in your market return after visiting a dealer who told them one thing and delivered another once they arrive.

Isn't it funny how you knew I worked for a Honda dealer ? We are keeping an eye on the stair step incentive. We will not count that extra money until we get closer the goal. I've been very lucky to provide good enough service that customers want to do business with my company and they are forwarding the quotes of my competitors. It gives me a chance to explain what's wrong or meet or beat the deal.

I forgot to mention that within our quotes, we show the freight & dealer process fee.