• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Digital Dealer Conference

I heard some great stuff from people who attended. Great = rumors and industry craziness. Expect a DealerRefresh Blog article a little after JD Powers is done.

Let's just start by saying Double Secret Probation :lol:

I had a great time and picked up a couple things here and there.

Four things I learned at Digital Dealer:

1. The human body needs more than three hours of sleep each night.
2. Never sing karaoke when drinking.
3. Todd Smith is the social guru since he knows about all the cool places to hang out.
4. Alex Jefferson taught me how to make a proper entrance and look cool doing it.

5. We need a uber sales professional cloning app.

What I enjoyed most about DD9 was having the opportunity to hear more dealers speak. Kevin and Andrew, IMO were the more engaging sessions.

Most of the rest was still 101. But its obvious that we still need 101 and as the majority graduates, I'm sure the sessions and speakers will follow. There were 2 sessions that were over the top with suggestions and little data to back up what they were speaking on.

Overall #DD9 was a good show with a great turnout from the dealer side - Nice job Cliff!.

It was nice to see some newer or lesser known vendors filled the exhibit room.

And YES.."Alex Jefferson taught me how to make a proper entrance and look cool doing it."

It was my first DD and I was overwhelmed and happy with most of it. Still sorting it out in my brain! Biggest disappointment was the opening session for me - to have 3 heavy hitters sitting up on a panel like that...felt their insight was a bit wasted. And I'll agree with Jeff - much is 101 repeated, however, I think even for the most experienced it's always good to revisit. Even if it's one little thing to pick up it's worth it. That's my job - a constant analysis, revision, relaunch.

Here goes, if I offend someone....sorry, up your game and I won't next time:lol:

I'll give you my schedule and what I thought, just my opinion so listen if you want to however remember they don't pick speakers names out of a hat so they all brought value to someone.

Tues......opening General session, I agree with what was said wish Chip Perry, John Holt and Mitch Golub brought different insight, didn't really take much away from their session like I hoped I would.

Went to see Todd Smith next........nice insights on how to use chat without a sales pitch, Todd is 1 of the more progressive guys in the space IMO.

From there I went to Josh Muller's cell phone class.....lots of basic info and stats......not what I was hoping for.

Skipped out on the last session and spent some time in the hallway with Tim Jennings, always seem to learn more in the hallway in these events. (Don't underestimate the value of talking to people at these events)

Wednesday.....General session with Brian Benstock (kinda) and Sean Wolfington.....though I know Sean is an extremely talented guy and what Brian has accomplished is remarkable, I don't know why Mike Roscoe approved this 2 hour salespitch?

Next was to Dale Pollak's presentation.......always a value add with a real plan on how to sell more cars, lot's of speakers lack a real plan and deliver only buzzwords......sure we're friends and a client, but valuable presentation as always.

Then I went to see Phil Zelinger......I was pleasantly surprised at how well done Phil's presentation was, sure it was filled with charts and stats but Phil also gave dealers a real strategy to go with his stats. Even with some technical issues I thought this was worthwhile.

From there I went to what was my favorite presentation of the show.......Kevin Frye of DealerRefresh fame did an excellent job of showing real world examples of what has worked, hasn't worked and some future plans. Kevin is 1 of the leaders in the space for a reason.

Wrapping up Wednesday was Joe Webb/Bill Playford and Angela Martin....... I thought I was going just to be amused by Joe Webb, who didn't let me down. What ended up happening was we were entertained, engaged and educated by a well balanced team who put lots of thought and work into their presentation. Well worth the watch.

I only got to see 1 Thursday class and then off to the airport. Although I was hoping to catch Larry Bruce speak (I read his stuff often and recommend it) I love watching Tim Jennings and his regular guy, done it himself style. Tim's youtube efforts are worth trying to duplicate.....although I don't think anyone wants to"live it" like he does, took lots of years of doing the things nobody wanted to do for Tim to get where he is today.

Like I said about the conversations in the hallways......if you never saw a presenter and just to to hang out with Old Uncle Joe as much as I did during this show you would have spent your money wisely. Sure lots of people there needed those basic presentations.....but lots of people in the hotel had lots of real world experience and I learn from those relationships all the time.

"From there I went to Josh Muller's cell phone class.....lots of basic info and stats......not what I was hoping for."

We had a dicussion about the use of cell phones in the dealership on the forum. http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f5/sales-people-cell-phones-836.html

Recently the General Manager of my store had to say " that customers belong to the dealership and we will not call salespeople on their cell phones and have customers wait around for that salesperson to show up".

To me, the cell phone is a necessary evil that needs to be talked about. How many of us have heard a cell phone go off and a salesperson answer a call while a customer is seated at their desk. Than you see the salesperson get up and handle the call in a different room. It's rude to customers.

What about salespeople using their cell phones to contact customers ?

What about a customer calling the salesperson and the salesperson is at dinner or scheduled off ? The customer says "hey, were going to come in and take a look at that vehicle again:

Does the customer wait for the salesperson ?

When you mention basic stuff and stats were covered, what does that mean ? What were you hoping would be covered ?

Last edited:
Thanks Craig for this....Wrapping up Wednesday was Joe Webb/Bill Playford and Angela Martin....... I thought I was going just to be amused by Joe Webb, who didn't let me down. What ended up happening was we were entertained, engaged and educated by a well balanced team who put lots of thought and work into their presentation. Well worth the watch.
We really appreciate it!
Angela martin

"From there I went to Josh Muller's cell phone class.....lots of basic info and stats......not what I was hoping for."

We had a dicussion about the use of cell phones in the dealership on the forum. http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f5/sales-people-cell-phones-836.html

Recently the General Manager of my store had to say " that customers belong to the dealership and we will not call salespeople on their cell phones and have customers wait around for that salesperson to show up".

To me, the cell phone is a necessary evil that needs to be talked about. How many of us have heard a cell phone go off and a salesperson answer a call while a customer is seated at their desk. Than you see the salesperson get up and handle the call in a different room. It's rude to customers.

What about salespeople using their cell phones to contact customers ?

What about a customer calling the salesperson and the salesperson is at dinner or scheduled off ? The customer says "hey, were going to come in and take a look at that vehicle again:

Does the customer wait for the salesperson ?

When you mention basic stuff and stats were covered, what does that mean ? What were you hoping would be covered ?

Not etiquette....would have been a better class. I guess I meant not so much basic, but general as in I didn't leave there with a plan or any action items. I don't want to smash Josh, but letting people know you should text market your customers without any real action items doesn't do much. I learned more about the reality of text marketing from Kevin Frye in the 10 minutes he covered it.

Angela, No problem......I call things how I see them and to me it looked like a lot of time went into the presentation you 3 put together.