1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital Retailing: I want...

Discussion in 'Other Cool Technologies & Services' started by john.quinn, Feb 20, 2019.

This forum sponsored by...
  1. john.quinn

john.quinn
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    John
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    JohnGQuinn
    One of the (very) few things I learned as a product manager for an Agile software development tech company was how to write "stories."

Product ideas start in the backlog with a simple story; the "simple" part was what caught my attention (by necessity :)). I enjoyed thinking and starting the conversation along these terms:

"As a....... I want...... so that....."

My entire background was retail operations and marketing. Since I was fortuitously hired to help construct software to aide retail operations and marketing, it was easy for me to construct these stories.

As a desk manger, I want an accurate calculator, so that I can trust the numbers I present to customers.

As a general manager, I want a suite of solutions that compliment each other, so that I don't have to pay 6 vendors and their overlapping overhead.

As a salesperson, I want to enter a VIN only once, so that I don't have to spend half the day typing random digits.

You get the idea, right?

PLEASE, take your turn as a Product Manager in the vast automotive tech space, and describe what you want for Digital Retailing.

WAIT... actually... don't limit to Digital Retailing, since it's obvious that there is no consensus on what actually constitutes DR, beyond the BS Buzzword it is....

As a..... I want....... so that......

Have fun, and fill in the blanks!! :)

2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. craigh

craigh
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

First Name:
    Craig
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Vicimus Inc
    Twitter Handle:
    craighooghiem
    As a consumer I want to buy my next car online so that I don't have to visit the dealership or talk to a sales person

For me, it's that simple. I want this for myself, therefore I want dealers to be able to offer it.
    I purchased my last 2 cars over email and by the time I got to the dealership it was ready to be delivered to me.
    This should have been a simple process, but of course that is never the case.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    • Like Like x 1
  4. john.quinn

john.quinn
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    John
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    JohnGQuinn
    Very interesting you chose to answer as a consumer. Because all I've seen are efforts to solve this problem from the consumer standpoint.

And if you ask 100 consumers about the problem, you'll get 100 different answers. There is no agreement about what actually constitutes a DR solution; every offering is different. Coincidence? Ha. No way.

"Digital Retailing" is THE perfect example of a non-solution solution: what happens when you ask dealers to pay for solutions to somebody else's problem. No secret why DR never substantially moved beyond "Buzzword" status. Epic Fail.

5. C Dorman

C Dorman
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Chip
    As a marketer I want consumers to be able to buy a car online without ever having to talk to a salesperson.

All of which is technologically relatively easy.

Of course there will be many points in the process where the consumer will have questions, and it will be much easier for them to talk to a knowledgeable salesperson instead of digging through all of the details online, especially on a cell phone, but at least they would be in control and have the option.

Either way, as a marketer, I win by making shoppers happy, not wasting sales time, lowering my costs per sale, increasing sales and increasing profits.