• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Do we still care about sales appointments?

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
I spent years chasing this metric and working to make it top of mind for every person involved in the sales departments across my dealer group. I then took it to be a central next step movement in a CRM I helped build. But don't you dare call me Mr. Appointment because I'm now second guessing whether it is that necessary any more?

Reactions: Zhendrix and craigh
I am wondering if our obsession with pushing sales people, Internet managers, and BDC people to schedule the appointment; followed by manager confirmations, really is getting customers to show up more often? I understand the need to give our employees a carrot to run after, but I'm wondering if this is the right carrot?

Is this dimensioning the customer experience because most of our employees push the appointment in an awkward fashion?

Because a consumer chooses to make contact with 1 dealership after hours of online research is that appointment push really necessary?

I like what the data shows at the dealerships I work with:

Dealers who follow The Perfect Appointment see 80%+ Show Rates (with most of these showing within 10 minutes of the scheduled time) and 80%+ Close Rates. Traditional Ups still close in the 20-30% range (when we're honest about tracking Ups).

Additionally, appointments done right take about 90 minutes or less to complete (including F&I). Most Ups that close are still in the 3-hour+ range.

Dealers make higher front and back grosses on their appointments; and enjoy perfect CSI when they follow The Perfect Appointment.

Finally, given that the average buyer visits fewer than 2 lots before they buy, would you rather be first in line with a firm appointment or hopeful they'll put you in their consideration set somewhere above the third position?

I think the biggest problem with our lack of faith in appointments is that most appointments set in dealerships today aren't real. They're just a box-checking exercise, so the data almost shows it's better just to hope for Ups. (almost)

Reactions: Alexander Lau