• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Does your website provider allow you to place external scripts?

sweece

Boss
Aug 18, 2010
First Name
Kyle
Hi friends.

Had a meeting w/ a dealer website provider recently and they said that they don't allow the customer to place any external scripts because it might "break the site". Out of curiosity, how many of you have the same level of restrictions?

I'm really referring to vendor sites here, not custom setups.

PS - Even Cobalt allows this, and we all know how most people feel about them ;)

Hi friends.

Had a meeting w/ a dealer website provider recently and they said that they don't allow the customer to place any external scripts because it might "break the site". Out of curiosity, how many of you have the same level of restrictions?

I'm really referring to vendor sites here, not custom setups.

PS - Even Cobalt allows this, and we all know how most people feel about them ;)

The top 5 offer this, but I believe they are site wide embeds. The per-page javascript I'm not sure about.

The vendor you met with is in for a rude awakening, though!

Script is a very wide description... Most scripts can run in the front end, some need to be installed in the server. Foreign script server installation is a no-no for any software company regardless of the industry unless there is some heavy testing involved (you know, everything can be paid for).

From my POV; the risk is to high for the reward.

I don't know what type of scrip you want to run: integrated with the inventory (a hell harder to do) or just a calculator (that can be run in a $10/month hosted page and linked to the site).

Script is a very wide description... Most scripts can run in the front end, some need to be installed in the server.

I think he means external javascript files for Live Chat, Price Widgets, etc. from other companies. I remember getting requests for this sort of thing all the time mostly for different live chat providers.

I think he means external javascript files for Live Chat, Price Widgets, etc. from other companies. I remember getting requests for this sort of thing all the time mostly for different live chat providers.

Chris,

Chat is usually easy, pricing tools too if they are self contained (they take the price feed on their own and need no interaction from the page itself).

However you also know that there is an easy script (chat window recall, etc) and then the guy that had a good idea and wants the IP checked and a different ad delivered based on that but if the car is new do something else and change the calculator when that happens, etc, etc, etc so you are faced with a 5 page long scrip that creates bugs.

When those bugs happen... guess what? Is not like: the code I gave you screwed the site. Is like: Your site is not working, figure it out (the other guy says his code is perfect--all coders think their code is perfect).

Chris,

Chat is usually easy, pricing tools too if they are self contained (they take the price feed on their own and need no interaction from the page itself).

However you also know that there is an easy script (chat window recall, etc) and then the guy that had a good idea and wants the IP checked and a different ad delivered based on that but if the car is new do something else and change the calculator when that happens, etc, etc, etc so you are faced with a 5 page long scrip that creates bugs.

When those bugs happen... guess what? Is not like: the code I gave you screwed the site. Is like: Your site is not working, figure it out (the other guy says his code is perfect--all coders think their code is perfect).

LOL, unfortunately, I know all about those sorts of things! I'm convinced great software requires an editor :)

Nobody wants to vote in my poll :(

Haha, but seriously -- I don't want this to turn into a "it should be this way, it should be that way" argument. I'm just asking about what is offered by various vendors.

Chris is right, I'm talking about an external javascript file.

Nobody wants to vote in my poll :(

Haha, but seriously -- I don't want this to turn into a "it should be this way, it should be that way" argument. I'm just asking about what is offered by various vendors.

Chris is right, I'm talking about an external javascript file.

Sweece,

Is not an easy answer! I would like to tell you that I can do it in my sites and sell you one but the problem is that I don't know until I see the script.

I think that any company would tell you "yes we probably can, but let me see it first".

Sweece,

Is not an easy answer! I would like to tell you that I can do it in my sites and sell you one but the problem is that I don't know until I see the script.

I think that any company would tell you "yes we probably can, but let me see it first".

I understand. Maybe I should be more clear -- even when we used our Cobalt site, we had the option to go into an individual page template (which could not be altered in terms of layout) and add custom javascript or css to the <head> of that page. Is that not a common feature?