• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Domain name / direct navigation strategy

John B

Lot Lizard
Jan 18, 2018
First Name
John
Recently learned DealerLeads purchased usedcarsforsale.com for $100k from Uniregistry several months ago. I was a little shocked by the price. The seller is a well known domain investor.

How important are domain names to your marketing strategy?

Last edited:
:hello: John. Welcome to DealerRefresh.

I'm so glad you posed this question! It has been hotly debated amongst my colleagues as to how important domains are. I don't believe they carry the same weight they used to. In the past it was worthwhile to own a collection of them for potential microsites or brand protections. That is particularly the case for politicians who get absolutely lambasted with mocking websites during elections.

For car dealers this is on par with any other established business: concentrate on your own name; your own domain. Google is smart and consumers use things like Facebook to find businesses more and more. You don't need an additional domain for Facebook.

As for DealerLeads, well, it sounds like they're in the lead creation business, so usedcarsforsale.com makes sense. It is all about your business model, but I don't advocate going domain crazy if you aren't in the business of funneling traffic to other businesses.

Is your domain name remarkable / memorable?

It's your platform, relevant content and where you're linked that matters most. Of course, that's freakin' completely broad of me to say, but that's it in essence. IMO, domain names should pertain more to branding. EMD or exact match domains were supposedly dead, in terms of their SEO ranking prowess.

How to Choose a Domain Name for Maximum SEO
https://www.searchenginejournal.com/choose-a-domain-name-maximum-seo/158951/

Old stuff...
https://moz.com/blog/googles-emd-algo-update-early-data
https://moz.com/blog/are-exact-match-domains-in-decline

https://searchenginewatch.com/2016/...-emd-and-why-does-google-want-to-punish-them/

https://www.flagstonesearchmarketing.com/blog/rewards-and-perils-of-exact-match-domains

Why do EMDs help in ranking?
Exact match domains (and partial match domains) have two ways they might help ranking.
  1. Keywords in domain
This is a direct benefit provided by the EMD/PMD.
  1. Keywords in anchor text
We all know that the words used to link to your site (the anchor text) is a factor when it comes to SEO. So much of a factor, in fact, that Google had to introduce the Penguin Update just to try and eliminate the abuse of that factor.

When people link to your site, they often do so using your URL. If your URL has your keywords, the links will naturally contain your keywords. (And not in the spammy sense than Penguin cracked down on.)

Lots of natural links containing your keyword can lead to better rankings for that keyword… as Mark Preston found out when his site markprestonseo.com ranked locally for Preston SEO (even when he didn’t live in Preston).

So do EMDs help or hurt?
Let’s be clear on why Google would have given less weight to exact match domains.

It’s not the domain – it’s the spam.

Downsides to using an exact match domain for SEO
You might start thinking you can coast on it

As we just saw above, even in 2016, Gary Illyes is on the lookout for spammy EMDs. Google’s not going to give up on the spam, and so if your EMD is just a low quality shortcut tactic, you’re likely going to experience disappointment, sooner or later.

No branding

Amazon is Amazon is Amazon. If they had started with the domain www.onlinebookstore.com, there’s more than a chance that would have hurt their memorability, marketing and long-term success in a changing industry.

Using a branded domain gives the impression that you’re serious, big-time and here to stay. It’s easier to remember and find online.

“Why is branding so powerful? Because it differentiates your products and services from your competitors’. A compelling brand creates emotional connections to make it easier for people to relate what they do. The same goes for branded domain names: They don’t appear spammy and are far more memorable than generic keyword-based names.” –Wordstream

What’s the exact match for your SEO goals in 2017?
Exact and partial match domains clearly do provide some advantage, whether through the domain itself or through the keywords that will occur naturally in links using the URL as anchor text.

Don’t rest on your laurels with an exact match domain, though. Build it – its quality, content and optimization – the same way you would any domain, even a branded one.

If that sounds good to you – go forth with your EMD!

But if you find yourself thinking, “Why would I invest all that effort into a non-branded EMD?” – well, you just got your answer.

https://blog.kissmetrics.com/top-ranked-sites-google/
4. Should You Register a Domain Name with Keywords In It?

The perpetual question that’s always on every marketer’s mind when they launch a new venture – should my domain name include keywords? Currently, Google is paying less attention to this metric than the placement of the keyword in other places, such as in the title, URL, and in both internal and external links. A well-balanced internal linking structure is vital for spreading around all the valuable optimized “link juice.”

Last edited:
Reactions: John B
@Alexander Lau Very detailed and good information, thanks.

I try to buy domains with direct navigation, iow, type-in traffic. Brand or creative domain names have rising in value but EMD like cars.com have a certain authority and regularly sell for six and seven figures. The demand for EMD have driven the price up for cctld's, .io and .me are very popular.

I use namebio to keep up on current trends.

• :light:
Reactions: Alexander Lau
:hello: John. Welcome to DealerRefresh.

Thanks.

As for DealerLeads, well, it sounds like they're in the lead creation business, so usedcarsforsale.com makes sense. It is all about your business model, but I don't advocate going domain crazy if you aren't in the business of funneling traffic to other businesses.

Dealers are in the lead business also. I think usedcarsforsale.com would make great sense for a dealer, just not at the quoted sales price. Why buy the milk if you can afford the cow.

Thanks.

Dealers are in the lead business also. I think usedcarsforsale.com would make great sense for a dealer, just not at the quoted sales price. Why buy the milk if you can afford the cow.
It's a little long, there's some research to suggest that two syllable domain names have a better chance of sticking in the minds of customers and ranking well.
https://neilpatel.com/blog/branding-seo-hack/
2. Choose a two-syllable name – Shorter domain names (and fewer syllables) have a direct correlation with ranking better in Google = https://websitesetup.org/choose-domain-name.

https://www.quora.com/How-important-is-it-to-have-a-two-syllable-domain-name

In your instance (albeit it doesn't follow any of the rules aforementioned), as long as that site focuses on 'used cars' and has a quality platform, relevant content and has built authoritative backlinks (definitely still matter) they should be good. However, if they are attempting to crack the national / global 'used car' rankings, they have a crap ton of work in store. Locally, they might have a shot.

:)

Last edited:
With hundreds of TLDs and most websites getting more traffic from Google than from Direct, I think it's pretty clear the valuable domain name ship has sailed. We're basically back at the AOL keywords business of "Google <Business Name> to Find Us Online".

Reactions: Alexander Lau
With hundreds of TLDs and most websites getting more traffic from Google than from Direct, I think it's pretty clear the valuable domain name ship has sailed. We're basically back at the AOL keywords business of "Google <Business Name> to Find Us Online".

Exactly. I played with different domains back in 2009, and I didn't see much move. For me it's just keep it simple and memorable for offline marketing, but all in all it's not that big of a deal.

Finding names with type-in traffic isn't easy but worth the effort. It's a matter of return, right? You couldn't touch Autofinder.com, but you could purchase a name like {city}auto.com or {state)auto.com for a four figure price.

In my experience, an undeveloped domain with type-in traffic will quickly increase 10X with a website. When I'm looking for a domain, I want a .com, other tlds, like .net are being used not parked with ads. Two words are better than three.

Lots of changes since 2010 but I think anyone who says domains and search are not relevant, isn't speaking from experience or is selling something else. My pov is test everything, expand on what works.

For anyone interested, you can find expiring / deleting names at auctions.godaddy.com, namejet.com and less popular namesilo.com and dropcatch.com. You can research historical prices at namebio, dnjournal.

Last edited: