• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Edmunds as 3rd-Party Lead Provider -- Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

john.quinn

Boss
Dec 2, 2009
Awards
First Name
John
We got on-board with the new program 4 months ago, Premium Territory (yada-yada -- and don't even get me started on the data sharing thing!!).

Results have been poor. I've always viewed Edmunds as more of a mid-funnel type research platform -- not a bottom-funnel "choice" selector.

Agree, disagree? Anyone seeing good results evaluating Edmunds as a 3rd-party lead provider?

*bump*

Was in a meeting today with a few others the and the conversation around Edmunds.com third-party leads came up. I continue to hear dealers are struggling with the quantity of leads Edmunds is able to produce.

Are any DealerRefresh readers hearing or witnessing the same?

Cost per lead is very expensive. They had it at one of my Lexus stores.

The customer builds a vehicle like it's the new car buffet. I would see a lead where the customer wants a RX 350 with navigation. Edmunds will allow the customer to build the vehicle without the premium package, that is a prerequisite to having navigation. Edmunds has a disclaimer that they do not add for manditory local dealer advertising but customers rarely see this. In my RX 350 example, the actual cost is over $3K more than what the customer has printed out as my invoice. The lead comes with a "target price" that is less than that. I don't remember any of these leads coming with a phone number and it is very difficult to make the customer understand in a series of emails. They simply don't want to believe you.

I don't know if Edmunds is more accurate for other franchises but I couldn't cancel it fast enough. Like most, you have to give them 30 days.

In our area, the unsold new GM brand leads submitted on Edmunds appear to go to Dealix ($22) and then to the GM 3rd Party lead program ($16) before going directly to the dealer (free). That just seems like a penalty for playing. As a bonus, Edmunds encourages customers to submit their leads to ALL 5 of the closest stores (for obvious reasons.)

In our area, the unsold new GM brand leads submitted on Edmunds appear to go to Dealix ($22) and then to the GM 3rd Party lead program ($16) before going directly to the dealer (free). That just seems like a penalty for playing. As a bonus, Edmunds encourages customers to submit their leads to ALL 5 of the closest stores (for obvious reasons.)

Doesn't seem right does it?