• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

ERAccess Installation Trashes Systems

ceinj

Lot Lizard
Nov 2, 2010
First Name
Langston
In preparing our dealer clients that R&R will only be supporting ERAccess in January, we had some of them update the software on some of their computers. The good news was that we only had 4 computers converted.

Three of these computers ran XPe (Windows XP Embedded) operating systems. When the software was downloaded and installed, it CRASHED the systems and they no longer boot! They get BSOD error message:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of
0xc0000139 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

The fourth system was not XPe and installation was successful.

They barely have answers regarding configurations they actually "support". I doubt they will tell you anything besides "go pound sand".

I am not very familiar with XPe but I would first take a look at the services that are installed by the software manager. Perhaps you could boot from a Windows CD and load the Recovery Console, then disable the UCC / Reynolds services that have been installed...

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of
0xc0000139 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

This may be more appropriate on a "techie" forum - sorry in advance if this boars the masses.

If your XP "embedded" was installed with the ability to boot to "safe" or "last known" modes, you may be able to use those modes to uninstall the Reynolds stuff. otherwise, you'll probably end up re-loading XPe on those systems.

This "STOP" during boot is almost always related a few registry entries which I do not believe that the Reynolds install is changing. The second and most likely cause is a DLL brought in by the Reynolds install that is not compatible with XPe.

Good luck,

Cliff

Windows XPe is an operating system for "thin clients" just as WEPOS is an operating system for POS systems (retail cash register like systems). It was a perfect solution if you had several stations that just needed to connect to the internet and didn't need to do a lot of other computing stuff.

I couldn't find any verbiage that made me believe that ERAccess (a glorified terminal emulator) would not run on XPe. I have other applications running on the device with no problem.

Contact with R&R was less than helpful but the case is still open. Just wanted others in the community to be aware.

After the BIOS posts, keep pressing F8 repeatedly and it should bring you to a screen that will allow you to pick a different boot option. One of them will be Safe Mode, try that first. If that doesn't work, try the one along the lines of "Last Known Good Configuration".

Chip-

Hi - since R&R isn't helping here's a site that might at least give some clues as to the cause.
http://www.lwcomputing.com/minidumps/
Read the doc - it isn't long. Since Windows won't boot, you'll need to access the minidump files another way, unless you can get the computer into safe mode as discussed above. That means creating perhaps a boot CD that will work with the hardware. Ultimate Boot CD is a good first choice as its tools will let you have access to the folder tree on the drive where you can drill down and copy the minidumps out to, say, a thumb drive.

In terms of diagnosing this, given that R&R isn't being reponsive, this might help. Be mindful that the author clearly states this is considered in "beta" testing.

H