• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook Ad Categories

Apr 29, 2011
Awards
First Name
Chris
I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with this, but on Facebook there's an ability to see some of the advertising categories your account falls into. For me, one of these categories is "New Job". Another is "New Baby (0-12months)".

Both I think are important points consumers will begin shopping for new vehicles and it's an excellent way to reach those customers. I believe if you have your inventory on Facebook as well, you can collect their contact information without them filling out a form. Hope that helps.

It makes you wonder where they get their data to understand who's who in the "In-Market" game. Being able to break things down per specific inventory grouping is the way to go. In-market (out of brand), In-market (same brand), Conquest, Subprime, etc., etc. Surprised Google AdWords isn't this granular to be honest. GA is more about affinities and being able to import custom lists for retargeting.

Even though Facebook owns Instagram, I've never trusted Instagram's reach. It's too niche, based upon hipster and early 30's demographic. That doesn't mean it will fail to work, your ads have to be crafted for that demographic.

It makes you wonder where they get their data to understand who's who in the "In-Market" game. Being able to break things down per specific inventory grouping is the way to go. In-market (out of brand), In-market (same brand), Conquest, Subprime, etc., etc. Surprised Google AdWords isn't this granular to be honest. GA is more about affinities and being able to import custom lists for retargeting.

Even though Facebook owns Instagram, I've never trusted Instagram's reach. It's too niche, based upon hipster and early 30's demographic. That doesn't mean it will fail to work, your ads have to be crafted for that demographic.

I think they're using open graph and "super" cookies. So, it's almost like they're doing the retargeting themselves in a way. The one thing that's really cool with Facebook Ads is that if you see the ad on iOS/Android app and visit your store, Facebook can now connect ad views to in-store visits. The app has location services on and it's backgrounded, so most people aren't even aware of it. It's one major leg up on Adwords...

I think they're using open graph and "super" cookies. So, it's almost like they're doing the retargeting themselves in a way. The one thing that's really cool with Facebook Ads is that if you see the ad on iOS/Android app and visit your store, Facebook can now connect ad views to in-store visits. The app has location services on and it's backgrounded, so most people aren't even aware of it. It's one major leg up on Adwords...
Right, one would presume they'd use the organic data they had collecting on everyone (plus, anything else they can incorporate from powerful 3rd parties), when it wasn't a pay to play game. It is very interesting and they have the money to expand it. It was part of their strategy the entire time.

Thanks for the comment! :)