• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook Removing Automotive Targeting??

John V.

Boss
Jan 15, 2015
Awards
First Name
John
I have been getting this message recently when building ads in my Business Manager account. Anyone else getting this message and/or have some insight into what Facebook will be replacing it with?? It almost looks like they are removing the Automotive Behavior entirely? Below is a screenshot from one of my campaigns.

2018-07-18 11_34_20-Ads Manager - Manage Ads - Ad Sets - Edit.png

I have been getting this message recently when building ads in my Business Manager account. Anyone else getting this message and/or have some insight into what Facebook will be replacing it with?? It almost looks like they are removing the Automotive Behavior entirely? Below is a screenshot from one of my campaigns.

View attachment 3699
Yeah enjoy it while it lasts..

August 15th Managed Custom Audiences will no longer be available in the interface, including partner categories like Oracle, Polk data or others. October 1st is when Facebook kills all ads running partner categories:
upload_2018-7-18_13-34-24.png

Here's the new requirements for custom audience targeting: https://www.facebook.com/business/news/introducing-new-requirements-for-custom-audience-targeting#

My guess is the 3rd party shopping websites will be providing Custom Audience Targeting lists to dealers for a fee, or others, like ad agencies, data aggregators, website providers. It's like a heavily monitored email opt-in/out list. A dealer's own customer email list will be more valuable than anything outside of immediate in-market vehicle shoppers on facebook.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Bowman
Anyone else getting this message and/or have some insight into what Facebook will be replacing it with?? It almost looks like they are removing the Automotive Behavior entirely?
Actually, they are removing nearly all behavioral data from the Audience UI. This was a shock to me, as well as many others, that it's not just the auto industry getting hit by this change. Nearly every other category is being removed as well. Here's just a random sampling of other categories I added to show this:

almost-all-behavioral-categories.png

After discussing with our Facebook Marketing Expert, he said that Facebook had too much liability by directly using and paying for third-party data from companies like Polk and Oracle, so they dumped them entirely.

There's a bit of silliness going on here though. Oracle is working directly with Facebook to continue providing their behavioral data to customers, but through a different mechanism than was available before. It sounds like Oracle and other companies will be allowed to share Custom Audiences with customers, and you will be able to target those Audiences, which will help replace previous behavioral targeting. The details are not finalized yet, but it's in the works. The main difference is that the dealer or a dealer's partner will be paying Oracle direct, rather than Facebook being in the mix. So it sounds like nearly the same functionality as before, but just changing who pays for it.

The most significant thing to learn coming out of this is how important each dealer's own customer list is for targeting on Facebook. You always have access to Custom or Lookalike Audiences, and these keep you from depending on behavioral categories. You could easily get even better performance out of them too!