• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
Apr 28, 2009
First Name
Jerry
I am in the process of updating my training manual and I am adding a short page on using facebook.

Here's what I have so far:

[FONT=&quot]This is a great social media tool that will help you keep your name in front of a customer, and build a solid relationship. It’s also a great marketing tool when used appropriately.[/FONT]

Tips

• [FONT=&quot]Create a separate account and keep it professional[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Such as “Jerry Honda Thibeauâ€[/FONT]

• ·[FONT=&quot]Get you customers permission to send them a friend invite[/FONT]

• ·[FONT=&quot]Take a picture or video of the delivery process and post it on their page or yours. Get permission first. Make sure you tag the people in the picture.[/FONT]

• ·[FONT=&quot]Interact with your customers when it’s appropriate, but keep it professional[/FONT]

• ·[FONT=&quot]Every now and then post something on your page that’s meaningful[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]No overkill
      [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]New model introduction[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pricing incentives[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Service specials[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Take a video of a cream puff[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Insert pictures[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Send a meaningful message on birthdays[/FONT]
Managers

[FONT=&quot]Dealership should own the rights to this facebook user. Makes for an easy way to introduce a new salesperson should the orphan owner process need to take place.[/FONT]

Can anyone think of something I should add or change?

Dealerships should NOT create a personal Facebook profile, beside being against the Facbook TOS (and they are now cracking down on this), it takes away some of the options you have to promote your BUSINESS.

Business's should instead create a "Page" that allows "Fans" (not Friends). If you take a look at what a "Page" offers, I am sure you will agree that a page it the way to go.

All your tips are good and valid points - it is all in the execution!

I am not talking about the dealership, I am talking about the salesperson. I still think the dealership should have a main fan page, but I don't see any reason why the salespeople can't have their own personal page. The only reason I don't like them using their own personal page (jerry.thibeau) is so that when they quit, the dealership can take over the salesperson page (jerry mustang thibeau) page and assign it to a new sales rep. Plus who knows what kind of stuff goes on within a salesperson personal page. Of course the dealership would want to have a policy in place governing this.

My facebook friends list is littered with dealers who have created a personal page.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jerry, I'm not sold on the idea that each salesperson should have their own unique FB page. Why not just a dealership Fan page and Twitter account? Are customers really going to give up privacy and allow a salesperson a look at their FB account?

I think it is a good idea to have some kind of special incentive/draw to visit a dealer's FB/Twitter account. A promotion, special, coupon that can only be found by visiting or friending the dealer's site.

Drew, you are right. I'm still getting requests daily to be a dealers "Friend". In no way do I want to be a dealers "friend", however..I would/could be a fan.

IF I were a sales person (and I guess I am..we are at some point) I would be ALL over facebook on a personal level and ALL my friends would know what I sold. I would also have a twitter account to help answer questions regards to the makes and models I sold.

Shit..I've been tempted to walk back on the floor, make use of all these social tools and become a top performer in less than 8 months (or before).

I don't want to go too off topic her and take away from Jerry's post on "Facebook" ..

Jerry, I would answer customer "questions" and invite then to ask questions. I would also do searches to related fan pages and become a fan and interact in these fan pages.

How about some cool Facts about the vehicles I was selling?

How to service videos..set your vehicles clock, change a tire..be cool to see a sales person doing this.

BIG QUESTION: Do you set up a separate Facebook account or be truly transparent and use your personal account??

BIG QUESTION: Do you set up a separate Facebook account or be truly transparent and use your personal account??

If I was running the dealership I would have it be a separate account. And the dealership has the password. That way when the person gets fired for not collecting ad sources, they can't take all those customers with them to the next dealer. Before firing you change the password. To protect yourself from sales rep leaving on own accord, you have a very strict written policy in regards to this matter. Then you just give the facebook account to a new rep. I think you can change your name in facebook. I think I've seen people do this. I'll have to look into that.

Time for bed, I am headed to a dealership to take some phone-ups in the morning. Going to show them how it's done -- Ninja style.

Jerry, I'm not sold on the idea that each salesperson should have their own unique FB page. .

Heck I've built some really great relationships with some of the customers I sold back in the day. I still play golf with some of them. The only ones that didn't work out were the gals I dated after selling them a car.

That's why you ask permission. I think a salesperson can do a lot more personal interaction then the dealership can. I have not sold cars in a while and facebook didn't exist in my day, but I'd be exploiting it.

Now I need to get Jeff to teach me the ins and outs of Twitter, just never got into Tweeting.

IF I were a sales person (and I guess I am..we are at some point) I would be ALL over facebook on a personal level and ALL my friends would know what I sold. I would also have a twitter account to help answer questions regards to the makes and models I sold.

Totally agree with JK. IMO, This is THE FB model that has the best fit to the platform.

I told 2 of my reps about using their FB's to intelligently remind their pals about what they do. One gave me the deer in the head lights look and the other told me all his pals knew he sold cars. :banghead:

sigh... I'll never be out of work.

From an IT standpoint, facebook is a major security headache. All those addons that you give permission to install can give you viruses, spyware, and trojans just to see which michael jackson video you should have starred in. Hopefully you have protections in place!

I've blocked social media in its entirety for my group. online games are wide open to pass the time, but there's just too many security holes with sites like facebook to allow it.

I guess if people that aren't computer nerds would actually use it intelligently I'd have no problem, but that will never happen.