• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Follow my journey in Retail - Vendor 2 Dealer

Apr 22, 2009
Awards
First Name
Ryan
Hey Everyone!!

It's been a while since I've posted anything here on DR but I definitely hadn't stopped reading daily over the past few years.

I wanted to give you guys/gals an update on my next automotive adventure and was hoping I could use this thread to document the journey and bounce some ideas around.

Quick Background
  • Sold cars @ 22 for 5 years at a GM dealer in Alliston, Ontario -- Ernie Dean Pontiac (at the time)
  • Moved on to the vendor side for 8 years in which the majority was spent at Kijiji launching the automotive vertical, building a team, and being a big pain in Autotraders ass :)
  • Oh ya.. met Shereef from CarChat 24 right HERE on the forums and introduced the service to Canada around 2009.. they now have some pretty strong penetration here in Canada. Great crew over there. Here is the link that started the CarChat 24 relationship -- free 24/7 chat case study on DealerRefresh
  • Launched annual DealerTalk conference in 2013 and had 4 successful sell out events. @Jeff Kershner was guest speaker last year! (the godfather)

ONWARD

• Life comes full circle and I have an opportunity to help my old boss and friend kickstart there store which is still successful but has A LOT of potential with some new thinking
  • I'm now 35 and ready to put myself to the test and turn this small town store into a sales beast
  • Moved out of downtown toronto (where i walked to the funky kijiji office everyday) to the "country"
  • I just finished my first week and WOOOOOW there is a lot to do and learn

I'll give you some more updates as I go. I've literally only been there for 5 days and am well aware we have LOTS to do.

I'm spending time with CDK learning their platform and they've actually been really supportive and helpful.

For a small store it is great to be able to offload some of the dirty work on to them (make updates, change specials, create banners).

Quick Overview of store:

• 2nd generation family owned
  • Alliston is around 15,000 people. Lots of farmers.
  • 5 gm stores within 50 km
  • 80% of vehicles we sell are trucks (ish)
  • 1 sales manager (new/used) + 3 (soon to be 4) sales people
  • No used car dept -- working on that now

Feel free to check out the website and share anything that you think would help in my first 30-60 days. Will definitely keep everyone posted on the progress.

Ernie Dean Website --
http://www.erniedean.ca/

Planning on documenting some of this on my blog but right now I just need to put my head down and focus on the store.

ps. Uncle Joe has already been giving me some awesome advice on twitter around taking photos of new vehicle hacks. One of my first orders of business was to get actual photos on the new inventory. Stocks drive me nuts. It appeared as though we had 8 blue Cruze's.... simply because they throw a blue stock photo on regardless of which colour it is.

Oh ya.. here is my new demo (first truck I've ever owned)

Attachments

• DSCN1222.JPG
    DSCN1222.JPG
    458.2 KB · Views: 4
Awesome!
A big city-car guy-vendor, moves to tiny town to sell pickup trucks to farmers and is surrounded by competition! Great challenges await you Ryan!

In tiny-town, everything happens in slow motion, lots of time to reflect, it should be a great learning environment!

This is going to be fun to watch! :popcorn:

Awesome!
A big city-car guy-vendor, moves to tiny town to sell pickup trucks to farmers and is surrounded by competition! Great challenges await you Ryan!

In tiny-town, everything happens in slow motion, lots of time to reflect, it should be a great learning environment!

This is going to be fun to watch! :popcorn:

Thanks Joe. One thing to note is that this is the town I was born and raised in. Still have family and friends here, so that should go a long way. Would be a scary place to walk into without knowing which potato farmer had bought 20 trucks in the last 10 years :)

@Ryan Thompson quite ironic as I too have a similar situation and announcement and plan to start my own ongoing thread. I believe Joe has inspired us both. I really hope you keep us updated with your progress. Let's make a pack!! I'll get on your if you fall off the progress wagon and you do the same for me. Deal?

You have one hell of a project in front of you but once you have it rock'n and have achieved your initial goals, you're gonna feel like a million $$'s.

No used cars?? That's major project number 1 ...and I'm feeling your pain.

I'm excited to see how you go about branding yourself and obtaining new business. This is going to be exciting. Many of us will be watching :popcorn:.

PLEASE - not that I need to say this, but know that WE (the Refresh Community) are here to help ya brother. If you have any questions, ideas you want to bounce or a place to let off some steam - we're here for you Ryan.

Reactions: craigh
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's been an awesome first 2 weeks but man oh man is the retail world harder than it looks! Each sale feels soooooo good. Love and miss that feeling.

One thing you definitely take for granted working for the big corporate vendors are .......... resources. A dealership this size (and prob most) you notice early resources are extremely limited.. both people and technology. Almost forgot how to setup my own printer :) You don't want to get your hands dirty?? wrong business.

My first 2 missions:

- Build a used car department (had 2 cars when I started now we are up to 10!)
- Build an F&I department. Literally doesn't exist.

So here is my question to the Refresh Nation.

What are some typical F&I pay plans? They would be responsible for not only being the only business manager but for also helping launch the department.

What % of profit?
Base Salary?
Guarantee?
How many months do you think it would take to ramp up a NEWBIE with zero F&I/Dealership experience (this is where I'm leaning)

Thanks everyone!