• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

GM Accessories Digital Solution

ghen

Boss
Oct 14, 2009
First Name
call me Jason
powered by dealertrack / chrome / vehattire.

Oh yeah baby, tons of hands in this pot. Everyone wants to prove to GM that they can make the internet fun right now and GM is lapping it up. I'm so glad its cheap!

I have actually managed to get this tool to a mildly functional level and I know there are many other dealerships that are using this to much more success, but man did anyone think of the end users when it was designed? I mean the real end users. The salesmen who don't use computers, the parts people who don't use computers much, the service people who don't use computers much.. You see where I'm going with this ;)

My current procedure is:
1) Salesperson shows the web portal to customer around the time of sale
2) customer buys something that day and it gets added into financing
3) salesperson has to fill out a custom form I created with customer name, vehicle VIN, paint needed yes/no, etc... You know, stuff that might actually be useful when the parts manager orders the stuff.
4) Parts manager orders the stuff and notifies the service appointment coordinator.
5) Appointment coordinator call the customer (usually next day since many deals get finalized at night) and schedule a time to come in for their accessory installation
6) Everyone (hopefully) gets paid! YAY!

I've already sent off a huge list of changes I'd like to see to the customer portal on our website. That was back in January. A representative from Dealer Track and Chrome came out to talk to me at the dealership and I thought stuff was going to happen. Hey maybe it still is and there's just a lot of QA needs doing!

That being said, I'm going to have a list twice as long for the back end tool through globalconnect. Even if nothing ever changes, at least I'll get to write a big list!

What has your experiences been with using this tool? Do you have a process that actually works well unlike mine?

I'm going to visit another local Chevy shop, as I heard they have a radically different method where they have a dedicated accessory saleswoman who handles the whole process soup to nuts. I can certainly see the value in that considering the complexity of the system, but I'd love to actually get it to where everyone can use it and use it well. Something that's FUN. Its the most fun part of the sale IMO.

Last edited: