• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

GM Launches 60-Day Satisfaction Guarantee

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
What do you GM dealers think if this???

Program runs Sept. 14 through Nov. 30

General Motors announced today that it will offer a Satisfaction Guarantee to eligible buyers of new Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles. The guarantee allows customers to return their vehicle to their dealer between 31 and 60 days of purchase and receive a refund of the purchase price for the vehicle.

The announcement is part of a larger "May the Best Car Win" marketing campaign that demonstrates GM's confidence in its vehicles when compared head-to-head with the most competitive vehicles in each vehicle segment.

The new Satisfaction Guarantee bolsters GM's existing industry-leading consumer coverage, which includes a transferrable 100,000-mile/five-year (whichever comes first) limited powertrain warranty, roadside assistance and courtesy transportation.

"We think if consumers give us a fair chance and look at the facts on the things that matter most to them, like design, fuel economy, warranty and safety, our vehicles are the best choices - that's what makes an offer like this possible," said Bob Lutz, GM vice chairman, Marketing and Communications. "The Cadillac SRX and CTS Wagon, the Buick LaCrosse, the Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain, for instance, are all outstanding new products. This new marketing effort should help us communicate these facts to consumers.

"We know that we'll need to work very hard to get people's attention and encourage them to give Chevy, Buick, Cadillac and GMC a try. We think the 'May the Best Car Win' campaign and the Satisfaction Guarantee offer should help re-instill confidence in the excellence of our products. We're putting our money down that if people buy one of our vehicles and don't absolutely love it, we'll take it back. We will stand behind them both in the short-term and over the long haul," Lutz said.

Details of GM's new Satisfaction Guarantee:
-- Offer covers 2009 and 2010 Model Year Chevys, Buicks, GMCs and Cadillacs
(except medium duty trucks)
-- Customers (one per household) can return their vehicle between 31 and 60 days with less than 4,000 miles
-- Customers will be informed in writing before they buy the vehicle of the terms of the Satisfaction Guarantee
-- Customers must take delivery by Nov. 30
-- The Satisfaction Guarantee covers the vehicle purchase price and sales
tax, but not other add-ons like accessories, negative equity on a
trade-in or other fees; other restrictions apply
-- Leased vehicles are not included

This is what my boss wants to do...

My Boss said:
I am going to the local Chevy dealer to get a Sierra for a house project i am working on this month. I’ll turn that in for a Z06 next month because there is a track weekend coming up at VIR in October. I’ll turn that one back in with less rear tire tread and boiled brake fluid. What a great program!

Not mentioned is the fact that customer has a CHOICE of an ADDITIONAL $500 incentive "or" the Satisfaction Guarantee. The $500 is stackable with almost all other incentive programs.

Most customers will be taking the additional $500 - IMO

--Drew

I agree with Jason- the hype will help more then the actual program and it is something a little different besides more rebates or lower a.p.r. - on the marketing side I give it a B+ on the customer relationship side things could get a little messy. I guess the purpose of this program is to conquest import buyers? If I was G.M. I would stick with catering to my hardcore loyal G.M. customers and forget about trying to conquest imports.G.M. should try to create raving fans while the market is still down. I worked for a Oldsmobile dealer back when they killed the eighty eights and the ninety eights and went after the import business with Aleros and Intrigues and I think we all know how that ended.

So is this my chance to drive a Corvette for 60 days for free? Sign me up.

So it is $500 or the satisfaction guarantee? Sounds like I'm paying $500 for a satisfaction guarantee insurance policy. Are their cars really so bad I should pay $500 because I'm scared I won't like it?

So is this my chance to drive a Corvette for 60 days for free? Sign me up.

So it is $500 or the satisfaction guarantee? Sounds like I'm paying $500 for a satisfaction guarantee insurance policy. Are their cars really so bad I should pay $500 because I'm scared I won't like it?

Its almost like they're putting a value on dissatisfaction. If I was buying a new GM car right now Id negotiate for both.

How can you justify giving the customer before me $500 dollars cash for the same car Im buying and not give me the same? Your salesman just told me that this was the best car on the road, and that Im going to LOVE it, put your money where your mouth is and give me 60 days like you did that other customer so I can decide if he was right. You said I was going to love it right?

Giving someone 60 days to return something is a really bad idea IMO, just ask Best Buy about why they had to started charging restocking fees.

I think it puts the salesman in a tight spot.

Last edited:
The Cash for Clunkers program drew some people into purchasing a car that would never have come out because of free cash. The May The Best Car Win program doesn't have the big cash payoff so net traffic will be low. However, it does give GM dealers something to talk about and spin in the local markets.

With the media battering GM has taken this year, its a decent move from a marketing perspective. The program will draw a few people out that were afraid that GM is going under. The program also is targeting a consumer who is not sure if the economy is on the mend but still needs a car.

Dealers have many angles with this program and cars are coming off lease every day. The other major manufacturers don't have any marketing plans worth talking about so having something is better than nothing.

It a great opportunity for content devlopment and I would document the first few customers who purchased under the program and share those stories on the web.