• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Launches Realtime Search

Thanks for sharing Chip.

I was really active on Twitter today - asking several questions about chat - it was interesting to see all the tweets on the Google Realtime search results.

I like how you can create an email alert right from your search results. It ties right into Google Alerts.

I discovered some very interesting things from the Realtime search results. I have known for a long time that our dealerships online video content was being scraped for use on other non-related sites. It never really bothered me because it also helped our SERP. We use a lot of video at our dealerships. What I discovered in the Realtime search results was that the parties that are scraping our videos are also tweeting them. This is also happening to some degree with our press releases.

I found several car related and completely unrelated sites that were hosting our video content, and tweeting the headline. Not re-tweeting, tweeting as though they were promoting the video content themselves but using the dealership name in the tweet. The link takes you to an erroneous twitter account and the link in the tweet to pages like use-car-reviews.com and divorcecertificate.us (or how to catch you mate cheating).

Twitter accounts like "ciela79" reveal a collection of random tweets resembling the bar scene from Total Recall, promoting anything and everything all leading to a site called askbiography.com. When I dug a little deeper I found that this was happening to businesses across the board not just dealers.

So has the combination of twitter and Google Realtime search made it easier for SEO hijackers to use your content to steal clicks. I imagine that the bounce rate must be astronomical, but these pages are loaded with banner ads. We all know that in search, content is king. In this case the king needs to check for his wallet.