• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Great Subject Lines!

inskeepford

Full Sticker
Apr 22, 2009
First Name
Marc
I always hear that you need to have a subject line that grabs attention. What are some ideas you have, I know you have to balance a fine line so that your emails are not sent directly to spam folders. I need some great attention grabbing subject lines. Thanks everyone!

Don't use numbers. Don't type in all caps.

Imagine from your customers perspective receiving your email. What would you want it to say in the subject line? It depends on the inquiry they have. It depends on the type of email you're sending out.

What kind of email specifically are you referring to?

I have occasionally sent an email through my ADP CRM tool that has the subject "Are you coming in this weekend?"

The benefit is that ADP does not LOOK like a bulk email, so people assume it's meant for them when they see it.

This does 2 things.

#1: Clears the CRAP out of your prospects because anyone NOT interested will tell you RIGHT AWAY.

#2: Makes those people who can't keep anything straight think they had mentioned something about coming in and they MAY actually come in.

It's not something you can do often. But it DOES work when I do it.

Another time I had the subject line "Have you tried the fish". The email had nothing to do with fish. There was no mention of fish. But it also worked. I got a big response from it.

-Bobby Harris

Another time I had the subject line "Have you tried the fish". The email had nothing to do with fish. There was no mention of fish. But it also worked. I got a big response from it.

-Bobby Harris

:rofl:

That's too funny~

I guess I would have opened that one myself.

I recommend (most of the time) being professional in your subject lines. You want something to catch the customers attention while also letting them know that the message is relevant to what they had requested for.

It also depends on how you measure the success of your email delivery. Are you looking at the open rate or the actual response rate?

Many times the "tricky" subject lines are great for "open" rates but you want to be sure you are getting a measure and effective response rate as well.

Using "Please Confirm" in your subject line works well for open rates. :)

For the desperate:

• Hey you
  • My pants fell down
  • You can't buy this car
  • Get some credit fool!
  • My boss died and I can do whatever I want
  • y01 n dis interwebz

For the not so desperate:

• $17,253.67 on your Accord
  • I want to buy your car
  • My only email to you
  • Your Accord price
  • RE:
  • <the customer's phone number>
Those subject lines need to have a good body inside the email.

Reactions: 4 people
Bummer. Just got an email from the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation with the subject line "Today's the day". Dang, I had a pretty nice little weekend planned too. Let this be a lesson on the importance of subject lines when trying to communicate professional emails....

Reactions: 2 people