• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Greg Spencer

Desk Monkey
Aug 7, 2020
Awards
First Name
Greg
It's been more than a month since Google launched Vehicle Listings Ads (VLAs) for all U.S. dealers. Have you tried the new product? If so, how is it performing in terms of cost per click?

A dealer who took part in the beta test reported cost-per-click was 30% to 35% of his other paid search. However, since the product has gone nationwide, I've heard a different story: Cost-per-click varies greatly from $.45-$3, compared to Facebook Ads, which is generally $.40 or less.

Are you all seeing anything different? What about other performance metrics (e.g. chat sessions, website sessions, etc.) Or are you taking a wait-and-see approach on Google VLA?

google vla louisville april 85.png

I'm not finding a lot of single point or smaller groups utilizing it, yet. How long will the savings last...
I think smart smaller groups are using them, because they're relatively cost-effective (for now). More has to do with what their digital marketing agency is handling it for them. If they just go with what the OEM is saying to do, or trust the most basic paid search strategies is enough for them, then they won't. But dealers should be investing a little in GVLA now, as the expense of this is going to be growing fast as more get involved.

I think smart smaller groups are using them, because they're relatively cost-effective (for now). More has to do with what their digital marketing agency is handling it for them. If they just go with what the OEM is saying to do, or trust the most basic paid search strategies is enough for them, then they won't. But dealers should be investing a little in GVLA now, as the expense of this is going to be growing fast as more get involved.
Pains me to say this but, how can a smaller group get on board with this product?

In my local area it seems only the big guys (Auto Trader, TrueCar, Carvana) are utilizing it. Does anyone have an average PPC rate that these go for?

Would be interested in implementing this.

Pains me to say this but, how can a smaller group get on board with this product?
I'd assume you would just go through via Google Ads and runs off of a inventory feed of some sort.