• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How does your store handle IT support

paulray

3rd Base Coach
Aug 9, 2012
First Name
Paul
Like many of you here on this forum I wear multiple hats. One of my original roles 7 years ago was to manage IT including help desk, managing our server room and contracts. Over the years I have had added to my job role CRM Management/Training, Marketing & Graphics Design, and as of 2 years ago eCommerce Manager. I know multiple job roles are not all that uncommon especially for a single point store but I am currently at a crossroad in my career and I am looking at how best to re-allocate some of these jobs.

How do most of you in a single but high volume store handle your IT infrastructure? Servers, Switches, Firewall appliances, Exchange. Do you outsource your server room? How about desktop support do you have one employee that is more technical so he gets the role or do you outsource that as well? How about Marketing and Graphics design in house or do you hire out?

Thanks in advance.

This is a different answer for each store. I am in a bunch and some have in house IT guys that are trained and know what they are doing, some outsource to a local IT company that usually handles desktop support as well. Then others have someone inside the store that kinda knows what they are doing to handle it. I know that might not be what you are looking for but that is reality IMO having an IT guy in house is nice if the store is large enough to support it otherwise the outsourced solution is very good!

There are IT solution companies that specialize in primarily dealerships; I prefer to utilize these guys as I know they know what i'm talking about when I say words like DMS. They are also national so they have a vested interest in having a solid reputation for delivering value. In my mind, you should always save more than you spend with IT, I mean that's what its all about in the long run. Small local IT and a lot of the independent IT consultants are more adept at billing than solutions. If you are going to outsource your IT, make SURE that you have someone watching them and their billing, hiding behind acronyms and buzzwords is usually the route they take.

We have an IT Manager on staff, who has several degrees in computer science and the like fields. His real title should be assistant to the GM/HR, because he does everything but IT. Some reason people hear Internet Manager and come running to me when they have an issue. I can typically help, but it's irritating/funny that it has also become my job. Guess it's always good to be needed!