Increase Test Drive Appointments!

Dealer Teamwork How Often Do You Check-In With Your Digital Marketing Vendor?

Joe Friedrichsen

Getting Refreshed
Jun 19, 2019
Eden Prairie, MN
First Name
Joe
It's safe to say that no dealership wants to spend money on a digital marketing service without knowing that service is helping them sell more cars, right?

For dealers using digital marketing vendors: How would you describe your account management experiences with your digital marketing vendor? For example, how often do you have meetings with your account rep? Do you walk away from those meetings feeling like you've learned something new or understand how your digital marketing is helping your dealer sell more vehicles? What types of metrics are you interested in seeing vs. what you’re being shown?

Vendors: How often do you meet with your dealer clients? What are some of the struggles you face when trying to meet with dealers and how do you overcome them?

Let me know your thoughts! I'd love to hear them!

Get Podium

Marc Lavoie

Refresher
Jan 3, 2019
Montreal, Canada
First Name
Marc
Over the lat years, I found that meeting with dealers (as a vendor) was perfect every month.

Mid month is the best, because you have a trend but also time to turn things around if it's going sour.

Spacing those meetings is bad for everyone, especially the dealer.

Aside of meeting frequency, the subject and goals are far more important. I've seen some people meet with dealers every week but not adress the business at all.

You must set expectations and agenda for the next meeting. You then have to see if everything went as planned, then plan the next 30 days.

Especially when working with digital, it's very predictable when you know what you're doing.

Joe Friedrichsen

Getting Refreshed
Jun 19, 2019
Eden Prairie, MN
First Name
Joe
Over the lat years, I found that meeting with dealers (as a vendor) was perfect every month.

Mid month is the best, because you have a trend but also time to turn things around if it's going sour.

Spacing those meetings is bad for everyone, especially the dealer.

Aside of meeting frequency, the subject and goals are far more important. I've seen some people meet with dealers every week but not address the business at all.

You must set expectations and agenda for the next meeting. You then have to see if everything went as planned, then plan the next 30 days.

Especially when working with digital, it's very predictable when you know what you're doing.
Good feedback Mark! Yes, it's definitely important to address the business as that's what matters most to the dealership.

Alexander Lau

Sr. Refresher
Feb 11, 2015
Mars, PA
First Name
Alex
It's safe to say that no dealership wants to spend money on a digital marketing service without knowing that service is helping them sell more cars, right?

For dealers using digital marketing vendors: How would you describe your account management experiences with your digital marketing vendor? For example, how often do you have meetings with your account rep? Do you walk away from those meetings feeling like you've learned something new or understand how your digital marketing is helping your dealer sell more vehicles? What types of metrics are you interested in seeing vs. what you’re being shown?

Vendors: How often do you meet with your dealer clients? What are some of the struggles you face when trying to meet with dealers and how do you overcome them?

Let me know your thoughts! I'd love to hear them!
See @jon.berna and @Zhendrix with https://www.driven-data.com. Done!

Jeff Kershner

Founder
May 1, 2005
Maryland
First Name
Jeff
It often depends on the vendor and the service they provide. But in general, I schedule Quarterly reviews with my vendors. Monthly reviews are too often IMO for most services.

When it pertains to Marketing (digital and traditional,) a quick monthly review works but I want more focus on the Quarterly review. With that being said, I NEED my agency to always be ready for quick changes and adjustments. I also need my agency to make recommendations and offer ideas around opportunities we may be missing out. Don't try and sell me on some half baked idea. Offer me an idea or campaign, showing execution from beginning to end and how they/we plan to measure success. This is where most agencies fail.

What has been disappointing during these COVID times, many agencies were quick to cut their staff, especially in the digital/design departments - where many dealers moved 100% of their efforts toward.

ChrisH

Noob
Mar 13, 2015
Central Virginia
First Name
Chris
As a vendor we ask our partners to make at least 30 min each month to review results and confirm strategy. We try to work an entire month to month and a half ahead, with some items ready and waiting for the OEM incentives as appropriate. I then, depending on the dealership hold quarterly or bi-annual reviews to check in on the big picture and review more relevant data.

I do have to say I am proud of my company, we ha e laid no one off, have worked with each of our partners and maintained the quality of service they expect. Every associate was provided with access and equipment to work safely from home, if they usually went to the office.

Joe Friedrichsen

Getting Refreshed
Jun 19, 2019
Eden Prairie, MN
First Name
Joe
What has been disappointing during these COVID times, many agencies were quick to cut their staff, especially in the digital/design departments - where many dealers moved 100% of their efforts toward.
It often depends on the vendor and the service they provide. But in general, I schedule Quarterly reviews with my vendors. Monthly reviews are too often IMO for most services.

When it pertains to Marketing (digital and traditional,) a quick monthly review works but I want more focus on the Quarterly review. With that being said, I NEED my agency to always be ready for quick changes and adjustments. I also need my agency to make recommendations and offer ideas around opportunities we may be missing out. Don't try and sell me on some half baked idea. Offer me an idea or campaign, showing execution from beginning to end and how they/we plan to measure success. This is where most agencies fail.

@Jeff Kershner, good points.

As you said, it definitely depends on the dealer. Some want to meet more frequently and need more attentive service, while others are fine with a more hands-off experience.

At least with Dealer Teamwork, we stress meeting more often (weekly to bi-weekly) to help dealers act quicker, update them on the success of campaigns, get "on-the-ground" insight from the store to help with fine-tuning campaigns, etc. But, some dealers prefer less attention, which is totally fine too. The goal is to provide attentive support and guidance upfront and scale back as needed. Just our philosophy.

And you're right, with some agencies cutting staff, those agencies are only making it harder to provide high-quality support to dealers when they most need it.

Last edited:

Joe Friedrichsen

Getting Refreshed
Jun 19, 2019
Eden Prairie, MN
First Name
Joe
As a vendor we ask our partners to make at least 30 min each month to review results and confirm strategy. We try to work an entire month to month and a half ahead, with some items ready and waiting for the OEM incentives as appropriate. I then, depending on the dealership hold quarterly or bi-annual reviews to check in on the big picture and review more relevant data.

I do have to say I am proud of my company, we ha e laid no one off, have worked with each of our partners and maintained the quality of service they expect. Every associate was provided with access and equipment to work safely from home, if they usually went to the office.
@ChrisH, that's awesome no one has gotten laid off!

Reactions: ChrisH