• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
Apr 28, 2009
First Name
Jerry
I’ve read a lot of stupid articles by people claiming to be automotive gurus, but this one is the biggest piles of crap I have yet to read: https://www.dealerrefresh.com/stop-wasting-money-phone-training/#more-23450

I equate this to a doctor telling you that you have cancer and then suggesting you go home and smoke some more cigarettes.

Notice the sponsored tag on the article. This is merely a stunt so the author can drive traffic to his list of trusted and recommended vendors that dealers should be using. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that he’s being compensated to do so.

Now, let’s address these ridiculous comments about phone training. I can honestly tell you that phone training does work! What doesn’t work is phone training that is not supported from the top down. I have seen dealers who started with a 20% appointment ratio and watched them get to 80%. It’s not magic, it takes discipline, commitment and execution to achieve these results. Those not willing to put forth the effort should probably take the advice from the article listed above. But hey, why make more money when you’re just doing average. Let’s throw more advertising dollars at the problem so you can drive more traffic to a shitty process. Want growth? Do a better job managing the opportunities you’re currently mismanaging. When your process and implementation is perfected, you’ll maximize your advertising spend, thus creating true ROI.

Below is a look at real results from a client that understands how to answer the phones. On the left I have blacked out the names, but I can promise you these were real results from a real dealer who is crushing the phones! We monitored and coached 18 real customer calls during the month of October. This dealer appointed 17 of the 18 customer calls me monitored. That's rock star status right there!
View attachment 3348
Guess how much this dealer spent to train these Phone Ninjas last month? I can tell you I am probably not charging enough, because it was only $540.

Time for some basic some math. Let's say the average dealer spends around 50K/month in advertising and generates 300 phone leads per month. A dealer appointing 20% (and that's where most of them are when they start with Phone Ninjas) of those leads is going to sell right around 21 vehicles based on a 70% show rate and 50% close rate. I am not going to use the ratios from the dealer above since they are an outlier account, but I will use the average for dealers who have been with us for a while. That's a 60% appointment ratio, a show rate of 60% and a close rate at 50%, well that's 54 units per month. That's an additional 30+ units per month. Figure $1500 per vehicle and that's an additional $45K in revenue per month. Why wouldn't you drop $540 to train your staff? And these phone skills get transferred over to internet leads and follow-up calls on unsold traffic.

Call me and I'll show you real results! Follow our process and you will see the ROI. Or you can take the advice of this person who appears to have all of 2.7 years of experience in a dealership. And in my opinion, if he were managing a dealership, he would be one of those guys who calls me after a few months on the program and says to me, "We're going to need to cancel the training, we can't get the salespeople to do it." No shit, that's because you're the F&^#ing problem. A real manager wouldn't let his/her salespeople tell them what they will and won't do.

RANT OVER!

Jerry Thibeau
CEO Phone Ninjas
585-749-201five

This random blog is just plain irresponsible---yes most of the things suggested are also valuable indeed. But to say the number one touch point, the old reliable ZMOT, does not merit a priority in your business to be measured and fine tuned in a world where customers are demanding to be heard is just plain self serving and criminal.

I find that way too many new sales professionals would rather hide behind a screen than to get in front of the phone. The phone is one of the most important tools for any sales professional, but a tool is only as good as the individual that uses it. Phone training is required. The blog post is BS

Reactions: Jerry Thibeau
Notice the sponsored tag on the article. This is merely a stunt so the author can drive traffic to his list of trusted and recommended vendors that dealers should be using. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that he’s being compensated to do so.

@Jerry Thibeau this is indeed a sponsored post, it's clearly marked, but in Jerry fashion, you're reacting and not taking the time to respond. You should read the article (sponsored or not) and then read it again to get a better understanding of the actual point that's being made.

What doesn’t work is phone training that is not supported from the top down.

This is actually the point of the article... clearly the article is tongue-in-cheek, saying that for all the effort put forth by management, you might as well use that money for Bus Benches.

Similar to a recent thread about holding vendors accountable -- I mentioned that it takes two to tango. Many dealers' "solution" to problems is to simply stroke a check -- but the pen (by itself) is rarely the answer. Whether you're paying a vendor or doing it yourself, you'll seldom get out more than you put in.

Jeff, I can understand why you would defend the article since it's one of your paying customers. IMHO, the article still sucks!

And I can see why you think the article is stupid since it goes against your business. Come'on Jerry. We've known each other for a long time. There's no need to disrespect. I'm merely saying there are some points to the article that I believe you overlooked. It has NOTHING to do with the fact that they are a "paying" customer. Paying customer or not, if I don't believe an article has merit, I won't publish it. But you know this already.

Reactions: craigh
This is actually the point of the article... clearly the article is tongue-in-cheek, saying that for all the effort put forth by management, you might as well use that money for Bus Benches.

Similar to a recent thread about holding vendors accountable -- I mentioned that it takes two to tango. Many dealers' "solution" to problems is to simply stroke a check -- but the pen (by itself) is rarely the answer. Whether you're paying a vendor or doing it yourself, you'll seldom get out more than you put in.

Thank you John!

Wow!

@Stauning is one of our most committed Contributing Members. He provides some of the most thoughtful, and sometimes provocative content. He also is a DealerRefresh Sponsor, which means he supports what we do here on DR, and because of that he is permitted to run promotional content.

This is WHY the article is marked as SPONSORED. It's an ad. It's an advertisement, a.k.a. an Advertorial. If there was a banner ad on the site that said, "Stop Wasting Your Money on Phone Training," would that be an issue? would you click it? Probably. But what that phrase means to you is not necessarily what it means to someone else. An Advertorial gives the advertiser a chance to expand on a message, and it gives viewers the opportunity to THINK.

I've read Steve's advertorial multiple times. What it DOES NOT SAY is...
  • Phones are bad, or a waste of time
  • Phone training is bad, or a waste of time or money
What it says is to STOP WASTING MONEY! If you're not seeing results, then stop spending the money, and put those dollars into something else where you can see results.

@Jerry Thibeau you yourself stated the very same thing in your response that supports Steve's ad: "What doesn’t work is phone training that is not supported from the top down."

That was the whole premise behind the ad.

So you know, we brought this up today on Refresh Friday. Steve was scheduled to be on the air with us today. In preparing for the show, your blast appeared and I felt it necessary to address on the air, so I brought it up. We would love to have you come on the air some time and discuss your point of view, as well.