• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How To Do A Quick Test of Your Digital Footprint

Justin Duff

Rust & Dust
Apr 14, 2009
First Name
Justin
It's important for your website to have a strong digital footprint with the search engines. What I mean by digital footprint, is how well you are indexed and how many pages are included in this count.

An easy way to do this is to pull up Google and type in "site:dealername.com" and hit search.

For example: Site:rizzacars.com

In the top right corner you'll see something like this:
"Results 1 - 10 of about 3,360 from rizzacars.com. (0.21 seconds)"

Now you might be wondering if 3,360 records is good. Well it depends. Now do a search for your competition and see how you stack up against them. Do you have twice as many pages indexed or half? Find out where you fall in line with several of your competitors, not just one.

If you're curious why your number is the way it is or how you can improve it, just talk to your web site company and ask what they are doing with indexing pages. There are lots of ways you can optimize your site to make sure you have the biggest, and of course Google approved, digital footprint possible.

I work for a small dealership, and I am self taught, so please bear with me as I am trying to learn more to help my dealership. We are a Ford dealer, and currently have a dealer connection website, so how do I get more of our pages indexed. Please Help.

inskeepford - as simple as I can keep this.... you want your website to have lots of relevant content, hence, having several pages that can be "read" and "indexed" by the search engine spiders helps you to become more relevant to online users' searches. You need to work with your website provider to ensure that you have a good amount of pages with useful information on your site. Duplicate content does not help you. If you have a large site, but you find that you have very few indexed pages, take a close look if your site is primarily flash driven. If that is the case, this can be a problem for you...