• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How's you're 55+ old parent or grandparent USING their smartphone?

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
OVER Half of US Mobile Subscribers Aged 55+ Own A Smartphone.

comScore-Smartphone-Penetration-Mobile-Subscribers-by-Age-May2015-760x407.png

Meaning: 55+ age group within the US that have a mobile phone with service - over HALF of them are using a smart phone versus a basic non-smartphone.

The question for marketers is: How's you're 55+ old parent or grandparent USING their smartphone?

Are you using nothing more than the basic phone features?
Or are they browsing the web, using apps, texting??

My parents will turn 70 this year and they use their smart phones for pretty much everything I do - texting, words with friends, web search, reading reviews, Google Maps - the works. That being said my wife's parents have a flip phone and the only web enabled device they own is a Samsung Tablet which they use pretty much for lurking on FaceBook and religious content.

Although my mother just turned 21 years old ;) she has been the DMS Systems Administrator for a little longer than that. Her use of technology is really strong amongst her peer age group. She surprised me recently when she called asking if my girlfriend can help her enhance her SEO profile on three of her websites for her side businesses. Go mom!

My dad, well he's an ancient dinosaur :rofl: ....and I really hope he reads this. For years he's been anti-Apple, but so pissed at his computer and phones because he constantly needed help. I've been pushing him to try Apple for nearly 10 years now. He picked up an iPhone, then the iPad, and then finally a MacBook maybe 2 years ago. Today he still says "Alex, you're such a dick for not telling me to get on Apple sooner." And all I can think is ....I'm so glad to not be your tech support anymore :tiphat:

Family conversations are over iMessage and Facebook chat. With my little brother in California, me in Vermont, sister and parents in Virginia it is easy to keep in touch. I would say each family member is equally adept at using the basic communications apps regardless of the device.

The real heroes of the family are the late-80s grandparents. My grandfather LOVES his iPhone and religiously keeps up with Checkered Flag email on it. My grandmother hasn't been as successful at adopting things because she always has to have the latest and greatest.... she never gives herself time to learn it nor does she have the patience. But she keeps trying. She's a fighter!

My mom turns (coughcoughcough) this year, and she got an iPhone the day after I got my 6 last year. (She planned to buy my 5 off me, but AT&T was putting way more on the trade-in and she settled on a 6...and she didn't even have to stand in line!) She doesn't use it as much as I do, but she's been using a pretty healthy spectrum of apps and such. She also blogs for a living (shameless plug for laundry advice) and there's been a computer in the house for nearly 20 years now, so it's not like she shies from it.