• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

HP/Compaq support is the worst!

ghen

Boss
Oct 14, 2009
First Name
call me Jason
Oh man there are so many other vendors out there. I have no idea why people keep buying HP and their dumping ground Compaq any more. Between Dell, Acer, Lenovo, Lexmark, Kyocera, and many others you can easily get better quality hardware at the right price. As a bonus, you actually can get support on the phone in a reasonable time frame.

Two recent cases come to mind.. First I called up and asked if they could figure out my purchase date based on part number and serial number. Since my computer was bought more than a year ago they wanted to charge $25 to give me "support" for my product! All I wanted was a yes or no and -maybe- a glance at the information next to my serial number that you know was right there on their screen already. I didn't even want any support! Just a fact that might have been in their database.

Second case was for an HP Printer, I called up and wanted to get information on how to fix the thing so it wouldn't pull 5 pieces of paper at a time. Support helped me out and got me the right part numbers, but I had to wait FOUR HOURS for someone to pick up! No joke. just slightly over four hours on hold before someone actually answered the call.

I've never been mistreated by any other brand quite the same way that I've been mistreated by HP. On the complete opposite end of the scale, every single time I call Dell I get helped right away (as long as it isn't 5-6PM EST) and they are pleasant and answer my questions and/or give me the support requested. Kudos to Dell!

Last year we had a very expensive HP color laserjet break down on us, after only 3 months of use. After 2 hours of HP's failed attempts to guide me over the phone to fix it myself; I finally threatened to get them yanked from our auto group's approved vendors list. Only at that point did they break down and agree to send out a tech. They really have devolved into a strictly consumer product line.