• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

I am looking for clarification . Is GM going to one pricing ?

danoneil

Boss
Apr 16, 2009
Awards
First Name
Dan
I'm seeing the commericals on TV where the customer negotiates a deal that is the special price tag.

What's really going on?

If they are going one price, is that good or bad?

*Dan O' -

I'm on the floor selling - no more internet stuff

I would have to say no to this. GM has always toyed with one pricing in the past (Oldsmobile and Saturn) and from time to time they will structure a campaign around it for a specific time (Employee Pricing) like their current promotion. I have yet to read where this will be standard.

That was just the Total Confidence promotion they were doing with Chevy only. It ended Tue. It was basically the preferred pricing on any new Chevy model. Same as the old employee pricing sales they use to do.

Don't get me started on GM's pricing, they might as well go to one price cause if you are military (this i like and dont mind), member of a credit union, in college or recent grad, or crapped your pants more than 2x's as an infant you can get the GM preferred pricing.

Reactions: 1 person
That was just the Total Confidence promotion they were doing with Chevy only. It ended Tue. It was basically the preferred pricing on any new Chevy model. Same as the old employee pricing sales they use to do.

Don't get me started on GM's pricing, they might as well go to one price cause if you are military (this i like and dont mind), member of a credit union, in college or recent grad, or crapped your pants more than 2x's as an infant you can get the GM preferred pricing.
...except for Cadillac, which not only doesn't participate in any of the above but also put out new rules on advertised prices for the XTS and ATS. Made me add a belt-and-suspenders Make-Sure-It-Can't-Go-Below-Monroney function to my pricing spreadsheet.

Do you think that one price shopping with Saturn or Oldsmobile lead to the downfall of that product ?

Or was it that GM had to many badges ? Saturn Aura & Malibu same platform. Saturn Outback and Acadia same plat form. etc....

Do you think that one price shopping with Saturn or Oldsmobile lead to the downfall of that product ?

Out of college ('96) I worked for a progressive dealer that was one price in all his stores, Porsche, Audi, Land Rover, Buick, Pontiac, GMC and had 5 Saturns stores. He was one of the originial Saturn dealers. We sold cars, it was not about the car, it was about experience you gave the customer.

Saturn - no, it was not one price IMO. It was the fact GM let Saturn start negotiating and diluted their product line. What was special anymore about Saturn, customers could negotiate. The products were the same in the end that you saw at a Chevy or Pontiac store.

Oldsmobile - no again, it was marketing. "Its not your Fathers Oldsmobile", WTF, that killed it, seriously, that campaign hurt that brand badly. And lack of unique product again in the end. Look at Buick, you had 3 vehicles recently to carry the badge, LaCrosse, Lucerne and Enclave, ok, lets be honest, LaCrosse and Enclave. It would have died if it were not for China sales. Now Buick has Verano, Regal, LaCrosse and Enclave. its able to carry itself here, somewhat, but still making far more in China to support itself.

Or was it that GM had to many badges ? Saturn Aura & Malibu same platform. Saturn Outback and Acadia same plat form. etc....

And yes, ref back above. Same happened to Pontiac, that wasnt Govt, that was the fact that the brands were diluted with-in GM.

thats my opinion, right or wrong, just how I see it.

Reactions: 1 person