• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Important Change to your Google Places

Apr 1, 2012
First Name
Cody
A few of my clients with messy local listings due to moving, name changes and other activities received this email:

"Hello,

We’d like to inform you that Google Places no longer accommodates more than one authorized owner per business location. Your listing has been identified as a duplicate of another listing and as a result, the information you provide will not be shown to Google users anymore.

To get more information or request access to the other listing, please log into your Google Places account.

Sincerely,
The Google Places Team "

Google used to allow multiple listings for one location in special occasions - doctors, beauticians and real estate agents. This is no longer the case. So, dealers may see this email pop up in their inbox. I'd suggest checking your local listings to make sure that it's the correct one listed. If it's not then you may have a really messy citation profile you need to clean up. Bright Local and WhiteSpark both have awesome tools for identifying your citation profile, but this work will have to be done manually.

Even if you didn't get this message I'd suggest using a trial version of Bright Local to check out your citation profile, and make sure that you don't have any problems. Cleaning up your profile is only a 3+ hour job, so don't get overwhelmed. You can easily handle it in one week.