• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Internet Training?

inskeepford

Full Sticker
Apr 22, 2009
First Name
Marc
I work for a small town Ford dealer, and have only worked for small stores. I was made the Internet manager at my previous store because I have lots of experience online, and I know how to sell cars. I then moved to another store as the Internet Manager. I read everything I can get my hands on, and shop my competition for ideas and to see how I stack up. I want to be better. We do not have a large budget to pay for training for me, so I need to find ways to learn and not spend a lot of money. Can any of you please help me. I want to learn everything I can to be the best I can be, and that may sound corny, but it is true. I need to know if my email templets are good, what are the best ways to respond to customers to get more people in the door. Anything you can throw at me will be used. Thank you all for your help!

This is a huge question and one that is not answered in a single forum or comment. However, I believe you have found a great destination for learning. Not only does the forum here have some of the brightest talent in our industry but don't forget about DealerRefresh the Blog.

We have 4 years of archived postings on the blog. Be sure to read...

Best Practices in Automotive Internet Sales and Business Development Centers
Internet Sales and Marketing Forum - Get Your Questions Answered
Internet Reputation Management Car Dealers | Auto Dealer Reputation Management
Automotive Sales and Marketing Trends

Of course these are only a few of the categories you can find over on the blog.

Stemming off of the last part of your question.. "I need to know if my email templets are good, what are the best ways to respond to customers to get more people in the door."

Your focus with email should be to transition the customer to the phone. Use your emails as a relationship builder and don't relay so much on "email templates". Don't get me wrong, templates are great for helping build a process and used as a guideline.

I always stick to the AIUA rule when writing my emails (even a few templates). I wrote an overlooked article about this over a year ago. Be sure to read it..

4 Letters That Will Sell You More Cars This Month

This is a huge question and one that is not answered in a single forum or comment. However, I believe you have found a great destination for learning. Not only does the forum here have some of the brightest talent in our industry but don't forget about DealerRefresh the Blog.

We have 4 years of archived postings on the blog. Be sure to read...

Best Practices in Automotive Internet Sales and Business Development Centers
Internet Sales and Marketing Forum - Get Your Questions Answered
Internet Reputation Management Car Dealers | Auto Dealer Reputation Management
Automotive Sales and Marketing Trends

Of course these are only a few of the categories you can find over on the blog.

Stemming off of the last part of your question.. "I need to know if my email templets are good, what are the best ways to respond to customers to get more people in the door."

Your focus with email should be to transition the customer to the phone. Use your emails as a relationship builder and don't relay so much on "email templates". Don't get me wrong, templates are great for helping build a process and used as a guideline.

I always stick to the AIUA rule when writing my emails (even a few templates). I wrote an overlooked article about this over a year ago. Be sure to read it..

4 Letters That Will Sell You More Cars This Month
Jeff is right. The Dealer Refresh blog is a great resouce, one of the best in the industry. We at Cars.com have a library of Webinars that are archived here: Resources and Training - Cars.com Dealer Center - Online Automotive Advertising You can pick and choose subjects, and many have panels of experts to draw from. Thay are 30-60 minutes each, and will require you to download WebEx software, which is free. Anyone can use this. You do not have to be a Cars.com customer to be involved here. The goal is NOT to sell anything, but to help dealers do better.

Thank you for your help, and I study dealer refresh on a weekly basis and should do more, time is a big problem. When I say email templets, well I only use them on clients who are not responding, and wonder if I should be using them then. It seems that we have a lot of customers who send in a lead with very little information and will not respond to phone calls, or emails. How do I improve my client responses to me. It also seems that I have several every month who do not respond to phone calls or emails then after five or six emails and several phone calls they email me telling me that they have already purchased. I need to get more of these customers in the door.

Jeff is right. The Dealer Refresh blog is a great resouce, one of the best in the industry. We at Cars.com have a library of Webinars that are archived here: Resources and Training - Cars.com Dealer Center - Online Automotive Advertising You can pick and choose subjects, and many have panels of experts to draw from. Thay are 30-60 minutes each, and will require you to download WebEx software, which is free. Anyone can use this. You do not have to be a Cars.com customer to be involved here. The goal is NOT to sell anything, but to help dealers do better.

Ive been to the site, lots of good information.

My question is do you have classes, are their certifications or credentials that one can get.

Ive seen a lot of dealers advertising for internet sales/pr people, and a lot do say they will provide training. Im guessing a lot of that is in house, but Id be interested in taking some courses while I have the time.

Ive done a search for E-commerce for my state and have found something at Northern virginia community college, but then when I go to site I cant find the course, so Im assuming its part of degree.

Does anyone know of specific courses targeted at the automobile industry that are not part of a degree program?

I've been reading this site, learning a lot, not sure how much Im retaining since I dont get to apply it, but its all good. I did find a link to ADM on a linkedin profile of one of the contributors here, looks like its a blog??

Guess theres always the Synergy conference, $420.00 if you dont go to the Covey session. Does anyone know if that is open to the public? Would you recomend that to someone who doesnt even have a job in the field yet?

Last edited: