• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Inventory & Marketing Manager Worth

Bmac242

Green Pea
May 1, 2012
First Name
Brandon
How much should this job be worth? I'm hiring some new people and wasn't sure of a pay plan.

• Completed daily trade walk to decide whether units are frontline, certifiable, or wholesale pieces
  • Choose, price and create mailers, e-mails and web specials for units
  • Arranged transportation for units going to auction and arriving from auction
  • Appraised trade ins
  • Completed dollar-per-day and turn time analysis’ to develop marketing and pricing strategies for units and models, both new and used
  • Entered customers into CRM database
  • Worked as a salesman and desk manager on Saturday’s to help with any overflow customers, while continuing my regular duties
  • Priced all online inventory
  • Managed a team of >10 individuals including photographer, porters, etc. and >10 subcontractors to ensure that our trades and any purchase units were clean and frontline ready, photographed and posted online, etc.
  • RDR’d certified vehicles
  • Purchased and sold vehicles at auction
  • Managed flow of units from rental program to our used car program
  • Cut time to market for used cars from ~17 days to 2 days
  • A variety of other tasks and reports as needed by the GM

Current Schedule: M-F 8am-9pm and Saturday 8am-8pm
Current pay: 36k/yr, 3000 draw, no bonuses and no performance pay plan

Software/Programs/Website Skills: ADP DMS, ADP F&I Results, ADP WebDesk, eCarlist, Manheim, vAuto, AAX, helped code recreate and redesign multiple web pages and sites for the dealership

Don't take this the wrong way, but to me this looks like you're looking for a used car manager. Is this the new used car manager title for 2012 (Inventory & Marketing Manager)?

I am seriously thinking this add is a joke! Who is going to sign up for these hours?

That's 77 hours for 36K, and that's not even guaranteed? You realize that works out to be $8.99 per hour worked? With overtime at McDonald's a person could make more.

Please post a picture of the person who takes this job, I just have to see what this character looks like.

Reactions: 3 people
How much should this job be worth? I'm hiring some new people and wasn't sure of a pay plan.

• worked as a salesman and desk manager on Saturday’s to help with any overflow customers, while continuing my regular duties

I need good salesmen. I have one that made half that much, this month, without nearly the responsibility and he didn't work close to that many hours.

Totally acceptable labor rates. Times are tough now. With that being said, it's a known fact that many dealerships are outsourcing both their sales people and sales managers ..

What is an old school sales staff good for just sitting around waiting for the next potential customer to walk in the door? With new technology's and the ability to research automotive information online. Customers don't necessarily need to be greeted face-to-face with a high pressure sales person. Instead, they are now redirected to a real live "Information Associate" overseas via Skype! They do all the leg work and will even run the credit to verify they are good to go before they reach finance.

Unfortunately, they aren't able to keep up to date with the current manufacturer incentives. Nor do have the ability to verify the identity of the person before directing them to the key machine. Also, since it wouldn't be economical at all to license every associate it's technically illegal. These are just a few of the minor inconveniences that you'll have to deal with. Business evolution and adaptation at it's finest.

For more information regarding the above topic. Please Google:
- sweatshops
- outsourcing +"sales staff"
- employment +"cheap pay" -"reasonable expectations" site:craigslist.org

</troll>
</exterme sarcasm>

Last edited:
How much should this job be worth? I'm hiring some new people and wasn't sure of a pay plan

Current pay: 36k/yr, 3000 draw, no bonuses and no performance pay plan

hahahahahahaha...

Let's see, you're looking for someone to work the hours of 2 jobs at car dealership, in an important position, but, not be paid enough to drive a car. And you say "Geee... why can't I find any quality people any more?"

Heres your guy!
eds-short-bus1.jpg
And even this guy is taking your pay check to find a better one ASAP.

How much should this job be worth?...

Software/Programs/Website Skills: ADP DMS, ADP F&I Results, ADP WebDesk, eCarlist, Manheim, vAuto, AAX, helped code recreate and redesign multiple web pages and sites for the dealership

ahhh... now I get it.

Brandon, would this be YOUR job description and pay plan?

If so, would you entertain moving to Syracuse NY to double your pay and knock off about 20 hours a week?

Reactions: 1 person
You know who is going to apply for that job? A salesperson who is selling 6 cars a month who wants to be a manager. They'll fail at this job just like they failed when selling.

You want good people, let them work reasonable hours and pay then a decent wage. I am very passionate about that statement and I also practice that technique when hiring people who work for Phone Ninjas. You get a more qualified person who will get the job done properly and you'll make more money for your business by hiring the right person. You'll also have less turnover and people that become advocates for your business rather than a person who is just there to collect a pay check.

Totally acceptable labor rates. Times are tough now.

Times are tough for certain people because they make the wrong decisions in life and they choose to do things the hard way. I don't want losers working for me and that's all you'll get with the above job description.

Totally acceptable labor rates. Times are tough now. With that being said, it's a known fact that many dealerships are outsourcing both their sales people and sales managers ..

I call them Fifty Percenters. These were the old professional salespeople. I still know some but they are few and far between. They had a 50%+ chance of closing an up when they came in the door. Now many of their ups were repeat and referrals. They make it look easy. Not only do they sell the majority of the people they see, they maintain exceptionally high CSI. You can't recruit these people because their fortunes are tied to the dealership they work for.

What is expensive is having a bunch of ten percenters working for you. In the past, people might shop 5 or 6 stores but now the average is about 2. Outsource sales managers? If they can't train fifty percenters, fire them.

Eric, as an IT director, your job is more likely to be outsourced. Don't google "fifty percenter", my mind isn't on the internet.

Bottom line, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Reactions: 1 person