• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Is Email Your Dealers BIGGEST lose of Business?

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
We’ve always known about our phone answering problems, but I rarely hear anyone talk about what we’re saying to customers via email.

Did you know that you can measure all sorts of things around email to discover who is doing it well and who isn’t? My favorite is to look at the number of emails sent against the number of emails a customer replied to.

For example: Joey sends 800 emails in a month and only 100 customers reply to him …100 ÷ 800 = 12.5%. When I see this number at a percentage less than 35% I start reading emails.

And what do I find when I start reading the emails that aren’t being replied to?

Everything from people putting FU (more seasoned sales people believe this means “Follow Up”) in the subject to “we don’t provide prices over email.” I even see messages where sales agents tell customers the dealership’s advertisements are a joke. And the vast majority of the emails I read do not answer the customer’s questions.

Email is where you are losing the most opportunities. Maybe as much as half.

There are two main email lessons to teach your staff:

Click here to continue reading and to comment

Email-Fire650.jpg

Last edited:
I saw that Alex authored this and for the most part, I agree; however, I still see "make an offer" on Dealer.com websites. You can have the writing skills of Mark Twain and not get a response when some idiot offers you fifty cents on the dollar for a new vehicle. I want to see an example of an email that will get a 35% response to one of those.