• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Is Google "retweeting" from non-war with Twitter?

ryan.leslie

One of the good guys
Apr 20, 2009
Awards
First Name
Ryan
Tweety.png
Jeff shared an interesting article from Bloomberg yesterday afternoon. I think it is worth a quick scan:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...=sendgrid&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=top10

I have two questions for the community?
  1. WAY back in 2011, many thought that the original decision to not show Tweets in search had more to do with Google's interest in promoting the G+ initiative rather than user experience in search. Do you think that this new "mutually beneficial" agreement that does not include any advertising revenue share is a signpost for G+'s eventual retirement?
  2. What changes, if any, does your dealership need to make to its current Twitter strategy now that Tweets will be returned in search?

It's going to be real interesting to see how this plays out. @emiltsch and I were discussing this the other day and feel it will revolve around the content that you are tweeting. The tweets that show up in search should, we hope, be relevant to the customers search inquiry. So we coined the term "meta tweet" as in meta page description on your website. If a customer is searching for a vehicle comparison article for example and I have tweeted an article that matches that context, hopefully my tweet will show in the customers SERP's.

I believe I would be taking another look at Twitter IF I didn't already have something in place. May also want to consider Vine since twitter bought Vine back in 2012. I use Vine quite a bit in my personal life. Not sure if or how the Vine video would be displayed in the Google search results.

This is a great thing to see. The initial experiment didn't work back in 2011 - it was probably just too early back then & twitter wasn't a critical mass yet.

This make so much more sense now that we have a better understanding of Google's need for better experiences and more relevant & contextual organic results. Plus, the fact that Hummingbird can handle this type of content understanding now, it simply couldn't back then.

This isn't an instant win for everyone thought, quality content from trusted sources that point back to sites with high domain authority will see the benefit.

In the end it'll still come down to creating content that satisfies specific needs - so the first step is to go back and create your content plan. (It's February - that should have already been done:)