• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Is your dealership selling a product(car) or a service(customer)?

Steve Roessler

Desk Monkey
Feb 15, 2016
Awards
First Name
Steve
I believe we are selling a service today. Customers are doing all the researching online. Most of them know what they want, let's face it. Do you have to know particulars about the car... of course?

My point to the question is the mindset we approach and treat each customer. If you are selling a product, there is a different approach vs selling a service.

Thoughts?

To the point that "Customer Service" is more a key now than in the past yes, I agree. Although, I think there's a pretty good argument to be made that even pre-internet, Customer Service was always the key. There were always ways to Ask for the Sale, ask "Why Not Now?" Desk, Close a deal, etc. that were customer-friendly. Admittedly, that's where real talent was necessary, and admittedly, it was just easier to rip through the Up Bus as fast as possible and move as much metal as possible, never worrying about the next time this customer would be in the market.

I believe we are selling a service today. Customers are doing all the researching online. Most of them know what they want, let's face it. Do you have to know particulars about the car... of course?

My point to the question is the mindset we approach and treat each customer. If you are selling a product, there is a different approach vs selling a service.

Thoughts?
Give me your thoughts on this ;